Vailant 831 eco tech boiler not working with thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a vailant 831 boiler and sylus thermostat. This boiler is the one with the timer.

1. When I increase the temperature above the room temperature on the thermostat I can see the green light turning up on the reciever.
- this is to confirm that the pairing between the thermostat and reciever is fine.

2. When I turn the knob of my boiler to the radiator, it switches on the heating irrespective of what the temperature is on the thermostat.
Even if the temperature set on thermostat is set to lower than the room temperature, I see the boiler starts to heat up the radiator.

Am I doing something wrong or would you suggest me to try out anything.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Unless you can just get the relay (receiver) for your thermostat, it would seem you will need to replace both the stat. and the relay (receiver) as it sounds like the relay has gone short circuit.

It could be a wiring issue.
Sometimes installers forget to remove link between no 3 and 4.
Worth checking

It could be a wiring issue.
Sometimes installers forget to remove link between no 3 and 4.
Worth checking
Would this link be in the reciever or within the boiler?

Sponsored Links
Would this link be in the reciever or within the boiler?
In the boiler, but often 3 and 4 are used anyway. Sounds like the thermostat may not be connected at the boiler end, or has been linked out.

Thanks. I ll check that and keep you informed.

I checked my boiler today. And here are some of the images-

1. The reciever wiring:

1000057279.jpg

The L and Com are connected to the live wire within the boiler.

2. The wiring within the boiler:

1000057282.jpg

1000057280.jpg

3. I see a loop connection on the 24V rt. Should I remove this loop?
1000057281.jpg

Any thoughts what might be going wrong? Thanks in advance for all your help!

Attachments

• 20240722_212640.jpg
    20240722_212640.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 22
I tried to look for the boiler manual at first found wrong one, but when I did find one which seems to match pictures it does give some warning.
1721685918436.png
It says how the 24 volts and eBus must be independent cables from the 230 volt cables, including coming out of the boiler on different sides.
1721686140808.png
It seems nothing is connected to your extra low voltage connections. So you are looking at page 37. This is an unusual instruction
1721686334702.png
1721686497021.png
1721686823800.png
However reading the instructions it says
1721687005679.png
this makes me think the termial block is room sealed, yes I agree a silly idea, but I would say you need a gas safe registored person with the equipment to test to ensure the seal is intact before running the boiler again, as an electrical engineer that 9 rings alarm bells, and I would simply walk away and say it needs a gas safe person to work on it.

I am sure some one will come and confirm or otherwise to if on this boiler one can access the wiring.

I tried to look for the boiler manual at first found wrong one, but when I did find one which seems to match pictures it does give some warning. View attachment 350003 It says how the 24 volts and eBus must be independent cables from the 230 volt cables, including coming out of the boiler on different sides. View attachment 350004It seems nothing is connected to your extra low voltage connections. So you are looking at page 37. This is an unusual instruction View attachment 350005 View attachment 350006 View attachment 350008 However reading the instructions it says View attachment 350009 this makes me think the termial block is room sealed, yes I agree a silly idea, but I would say you need a gas safe registored person with the equipment to test to ensure the seal is intact before running the boiler again, as an electrical engineer that 9 rings alarm bells, and I would simply walk away and say it needs a gas safe person to work on it.

I am sure some one will come and confirm or otherwise to if on this boiler one can access the wiring.
Thanks. I think I got my hand on the right manual now. Below is the screenshot of the same-
1000057317.jpg

I see my thermostat reciever is connected to 230v within the boiler. Should I try to remove the 24v rt and hope the thermostat to work fine?

I retried after removing the 24v rt loop. The thermostat is working as expected. Thank you all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back