Vaillant COMBICompact VCW 242

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am having a problem with the timings and controls of my central heating system. Basically my boiler is only being controlled by the thermostat rather than being overridden by the timer/controls. I have tried to troubleshoot this fault myself but am unclear as to what the problem is.

I had some repairs carried out at the start of the year when the air pressure valve clogged up and stopped my boiler from working. Long story short i replaced the complete set of curcuit boards (as the originals were blown by an engineer troubleshooting the valve) and had an engineer replace the valve and check the system.

I am not sure if this caused the fault with the controls, but i have had the thermostat down low all summer obviously to not thave it come on when not needed. I have checked the circuit with a voltmeter to try and determine where the fault lies but am unable to as the circuit confuses me. :(

I have tested the "Controls" terminals on the boiler and it receives 200v whether the controls are on or off.
I have checked the controls mains feed and it receives 240v.
The controls connection to the boiler at the back of the controls doesn't have any voltage.
With the controls removed i have done a circuit test on the back with the two contacts and there is a curcuit whether the controls are on or off.
If i remember correctly if the controls are removed and the thermostat is on then it doesn't initiate the boiler.

Are there any further tests i can run to determine the fault or would it be best to get an engineer out, if so does anyone know a reliable engineer in the epsom/chessington area who may include it in their service costs?

Your help is greatly appreciated and anything else i can do and post to help i will gladly do.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Bumping this topic.

I was thinking though, is a boiler supposed to receive 200v via the control connections on the boiler for it to function and 0v to stop it from functioning or is it managed by the PCBs in the boiler with a constant supply of 200v?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back