Vaillant EcoTec 830 - my installer has advised me to keep the Comfort Mode on - what is this and should I?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So as I understand Comfort Mode sort of intermittently keeps the boiler ticking in the background so that I have access to hot water faster, as opposed to heat-on-demand but there may be extra fuel costs with this. Some articles also mention about heating too but it's not very clear. I don't want a 'smart' boiler pre-heating etc as I'm fine with using the scheduled times I've set on our Nest thermostat. My plumber, who installed our boiler couldn't really explain why that well (English isn't his first language) but he just said it's good to have on and he does this for all his other Vaillant installs.

So 1) What exactly is the Comfort Mode an 2) Is it 'good' to keep this on?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
In comfort mode the boiler fill fire regularly to keep the water hot so that you get DHW faster when you request it, you dont have to run off as much water before its hot versus not having comfort mode enabled, it saves on water but some say it increases gas consumption/cost.

Comfort mode keeps the hot water heat exchanger hot.
If you have hard water and/ or have the hot water at a high temperature it will make the heat exchanger scale up.
It's purely for hot water so has nothing to do with the settings on your Nest.

Sponsored Links
In comfort mode the boiler fill fire regularly to keep the water hot so that you get DHW faster when you request it, you dont have to run off as much water before its hot versus not having comfort mode enabled, it saves on water but some say it increases gas consumption/cost.

Thank you, that's what I gathered.

Comfort mode keeps the hot water heat exchanger hot.
If you have hard water and/ or have the hot water at a high temperature it will make the heat exchanger scale up.
It's purely for hot water so has nothing to do with the settings on your Nest.

Yes we have hard water here so thanks for the very important tip there, although I am thinking of getting a water softener.

Glad it doesn't affect the heating. I think I will have it off then as it doesn't make sense for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back