Valspar colour match is different?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Can Valspar colour ups differ across different tins? A few weeks ago I had Valspar colour match Farrow & Balls Strong White and used it to touch up the kitchen which was already painted in Strong White. It looked perfect, but I needed more paint so yesterday I went and got another one (Valspar colour matched F&B Strong White), but this one is much more grey than the other (See attached pic, the new tin is above the light switch - and yes the light switch is being cleaned).

Anyone had similar experience to this? Not really sure what to do now. I was thinking I could take the old tin to B&Q and have them make another the exact same as that? Or I could just get the actual F&B paint, but then I'm not sure which shade it would be... I much prefer the warmer colour then the darker new tin. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_2925.jpg
    IMG_2925.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
As a decorator, I am surprised that the first colour matched tin was so close that you couldn't see the difference.

Colour matching is a bit of a myth, normally if you take a sample to be scanned, they simply find the closest colour in their range. Sometimes, various retailers will have sort of reversed engineer colours from the likes of F&B and you can ask for that colour as an equivalent.

It should however be noted that all store mixed paint can deviate from one tin to another. I'm not a fan of Farrow and Ball emulsions but back in the days when they supplied premixed paints, it was seldom the case that tins would deviate in colour.

As above.
Colours don't even match if mixed on different machine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back