Velux window timber strengthening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all looking for a bit of advise here.

Had a velux fitted in roof loft space at back of house.
3 bed semi 1940s
Velux fitted was 780 x 980 size about 32 kilo weight .
Over all i think about 14 to 16 tiles removed to fit it.
Velux is new bottom opening style .

Two rafters have had to be cut to fit it.
However i have noticed now after it had been fitted that the rafters each side of the velux have not been double up or sistered .
I was told it wasn't needed as window weight is less than tiles coming off the roof and the timbers in the roof are hard wood timbers.

Looking at the velux from inside the loft i can see it would be a straight forward job to simply bolt two timbers to the sides of the timbers where the velux is ? Or can i screw timbers on to them ?

As for the top and bottom i dont think i can do alot other than add timber in between the gaps or one full one on top ?

Any advice welcome?

The position of the velux on the roof is not the issue as only place it could be fitted. That is fine .

Its the strengthening of these timbers that is a possible issue or is it???

Attachments

• 20240626_125201.jpg
    20240626_125201.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 74
Sponsored Links
Waw, the position of that window is very odd.

Sponsored Links
View from outside.

Not alotvof tiles above velux .

So do i still need to strengthen inside.

As to position it was the only place it can go and was the smallest bottom opening design of velux available.

Attachments

• IMG-20240626-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20240626-WA0003.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 20
I am thinking two pieces of 3 x2 one at top above window frame and one on bottom screwed to rafters and two on sides . Bolted to exsiting or screwed??

Looking at the velux from inside the loft i can see it would be a straight forward job to simply bolt two timbers to the sides of the timbers where the velux is ? Or can i screw timbers on to them ?
Usually, when strengthening the rafters, the guidance is to double up on the whole unsupported length - i.e. if your skylight was above the purlin, the extra timber would run from purlin to ridge, not just where the Velux is.
In your case, as the Velux extends below the purlin, the strengthening may have to run the full length of the existing rafter - so I'm afraid this may not be as straightforward a task as you beleive.

Rarely, the existing structure may be strong enough to support the changes without additional strengthening; this could be where building control have a say - are your installers self-certifying to BC?

Yes self certifying. I am thinking now 4 sections of 3x 2 timber one either side top and bottom and one each side 2.4 metre length and two more 3 x2 one at top above perlin and window and one on bottom below perlin and window all screwed together with 6 x 8 screws .across each of the rafters .

This i think will be enough?

Two sizes of what ? Velux ?

No this is smallest top bottom opening design velux available as far as i am aware.

Because of this that was only place it can go and position

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back