Vented Oil System - Convert to gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into new 3-bed semi detached home. Mid-1970s

• x7 Rads
  • Water tank in loft for gravity fed DHW
  • Non-insulated hot water cyclinder - (I have since put some jacket insulation around it)
  • Firebird Silver Boilerhouse 26kw (installed December 2022)

Pretty sure this is a vented but sealed system. Ie. just one water tank in loft for hot water. No F&E tank from what I have seen.
Activating the HW on the controller all the rads heat up even though we just wanted hot water for the shower
1f602.png
1f923.png
. Seems like the plumbing and radiators are a bit ancient. Missing a valve somewhere?

Open fire in living room
1f525.png

Considering moving to a gas combi boiler setup like we had in our last home.
Booked an oil to gas conversion survey 9 days from now.

What do you all think? Should I switch to gas combi now? Or Is it worth doing something about the fact the rads come on every time we just need water for the shower, and instead consider switching to gas combi next year?

IMG_9797.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Hell that's a rough install!
Is that motorised valve actually wired up?
The white Myson MPE222 - the red light comes on when the CH is activated on the controller.

I'm wondering if it is stuck open... How can I check?

Sponsored Links
If that valve is stuck open then when not energized (LED off) there will be no resistance when pulling on the manual lever, normally there is a fairly stiff resistance, you can compare it with the HW motorized valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back