Ventilation in commercial buildings? (Yes, still DIY :) )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have moved into a new office space for my small company, which is within a larger office building which has been subdivided by the landlord.

I planned to put two meeting rooms in one side of the office, which entails building two stud walls and using some glass partitions/doors which I've bought second hand on eBay. (Highlighted with the purple marks on the picture).

I planned to knock-up the stud walls myself as it's within my capabilities as a DIYer :D

Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 13.55.56.png

The landlord has come back to me to ask if BC have signed off the plans. Last time I did a partition (in my old office in the same building) there was no such request for BC involvement. Their surveyor has said they're concerned about the smaller room as it has "no natural ventilation and therefore not pass building control regulations".

A quick google doesn't yield anything I as a layman can understand about ventilation regulations for commercial buildings. Can anyone shed any light on what's required?

If it matters the building is around 100 years old, not listed, and the rooms have no fans, vents, aircon except for the windows.

Thanks in advance
Andy

Sponsored Links
Hi folks,

I have moved into a new office space for my small company, which is within a larger office building which has been subdivided by the landlord.

I planned to put two meeting rooms in one side of the office, which entails building two stud walls and using some glass partitions/doors which I've bought second hand on eBay. (Highlighted with the purple marks on the picture).

I planned to knock-up the stud walls myself as it's within my capabilities as a DIYer :D

View attachment 347782

A quick google doesn't yield anything I as a layman can understand about ventilation regulations for commercial buildings. Can anyone shed any light on what's required?
A mechanical extractor venting at X(?) litres per minute.

Surely that stud wall needs to connect to the proudest part of those piers?

A mechanical extractor venting at X(?) litres per minute.

Surely that stud wall needs to connect to the proudest part of those piers?
Hi Noseall,

Hope you’re well.

Yeah I guess it’ll end up being some kind of extractor, but what rating and if it can be vented to the rest of the office or if it needs to all go outside. Would be interested to see the regs.

All adds £££ to the installation :(

Those piers are actually a steel arch so fitting behind them is much easier than inside them.

Cheers
Andy

Demountable or non load bearing partitioning of an office does not require building control approval unless it affects fire safety or escape exits - which that proposal does not.

Sponsored Links
Demountable or non load bearing partitioning of an office does not require building control approval unless it affects fire safety or escape exits - which that proposal does not.
Morning Woody, thanks for your reply. So just to double-check, there are no specific ventilation requirements?

The Building Regulations does impose a requirement for ventilation although it is rather vague ...... "There shall be adequate means of ventilation provided for people in the building." There is some guidance in the approved document.
Whether it would apply in this case is debateable. I would say that it possibly does as the work could be classed as a "Material Alteration" as you are creating "inner rooms" which will affect the means of escape in the event of a fire which would mean a building regulations application should be made.

I would ask the question why would you want an office with no ventilation? That would be a very unpleasant work environment.

However, Building Regulations aside the landlord can still ask for a "Licence for Alterations" to document the changes you want to make to the building and they could impose their own reasonable requirements. If you really do not want to provide ventilation you could try telling the landlord that you will remove the partitions at the end of your lease and reinstate the original layout so the lack of ventilation will not be a problem the landlord has to deal with later on.

The Building Regulations does impose a requirement for ventilation although it is rather vague ...... "There shall be adequate means of ventilation provided for people in the building." There is some guidance in the approved document.
Whether it would apply in this case is debateable. I would say that it possibly does as the work could be classed as a "Material Alteration" as you are creating "inner rooms" which will affect the means of escape in the event of a fire which would mean a building regulations application should be made.

I would ask the question why would you want an office with no ventilation? That would be a very unpleasant work environment.

However, Building Regulations aside the landlord can still ask for a "Licence for Alterations" to document the changes you want to make to the building and they could impose their own reasonable requirements. If you really do not want to provide ventilation you could try telling the landlord that you will remove the partitions at the end of your lease and reinstate the original layout so the lack of ventilation will not be a problem the landlord has to deal with later on.
Thanks for the input Wessex.

The space in question is to be an informal meeting space - a couple of comfy chairs and a side table. We have come to a point where we need a second private space (take calls, do 1 to 1s) when the first room is occupied. I get your point if it was to be someone in there 7 hours a day.

The landlord has asked for BC, but unless there’s some specific level of airflow, etc I’m not sure what BC can confirm.

I may suggest some air vents to the main office (either passive or mechanical) and then a CO2 alarm for the room. And as you suggest, confirm the items will be removed at the end of the lease.

Thanks again

Morning Woody, thanks for your reply. So just to double-check, there are no specific ventilation requirements?
No, if the conversion is not controlled work, then none of the b/regs apply, so there is no requirement to add ventilation.

But whether it's worth adding some ventilation is down to pragmatism and that would include whether it needs some ventilation, or just some air movement.

The b/regs give guidance only, and suggest supply rates of 10 l/s per person using the room, or 1 l/s per m2 floor area, but that's general for office use, not infrequent meeting rooms. But an extract fan in itself is not ventilation - where is the air extracted being replaced from, the main office? Thats not fresh air.

You can form the room use it a while and then see what it's like and then decide.

If the landlord's surveyor is concerned, then it's up to him/the landlord to specify what they require as part of their permission for the works, but unless your lease contains such clauses, your proposed works should not require landlord permission. And any conditions a landlord sets must be reasonable, and necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back