Venting my cold loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

A quick question which i hope has a straightforward answer.

We have a cold/open/vented loft. Air comes in via the soffits below the rafers at floor level. I've insulated the floor to recommended standards and boarded, being careful to leave adequate space around the edges so ventilation is not affected.

As above, the only ventilation is at floor level and in the summer an immense amount of heat gets trapped in the loft, which often takes a long time to dissipate. There are no issues with condensation that i can tell and the timbers that i can see look a bit dusty but generally OK. There is roofing felt battoned to the inside of the rafters which will need removing so i cant be positive that the overall condition is fine until this is removed and i can take a closer look.

Nevertheless, i'm sure that such extreme temperature changes, especially when humid or very dry, cannot be good long term for both the structure and my belongings stored in the loft so I would like to add some ventilation at a higher level to allow the hot air to escape.

In short, is this advisable?

I'd like to avoud venting the ridge as we have a character property, so i'm thinking more along the lines of tile vents at a higher level.

Thanks in advance! Razz.

Sponsored Links
If it’s not broke, you can’t fix it.
As a general philosophy I agree.

However, i would like to regulate the heat as there are a few areas where the gable ends are so low i can't insulate the room below - These rooms get especially hot in the summer from the radiant heat in the loft.

I'm also concerned about the long term effects on my belongings that are kept in the loft.

I couldn't say for certain that this isn't having a detrimental effect to the timbers, and with the lining that has been incorrectly installed to the inside i won't necessarily know until this is removed. One thing is for certain, the rafters do expand and contract with the seasons and this causes cosmetic issues within the property - anything i could do that may mitigate by balancing out the massive temperature/humidity differentials would be worthwhile in my opinion.

However, i would like to regulate the heat as there are a few areas where the gable ends are so low i can't insulate the room below - These rooms get especially hot in the summer from the radiant heat in the loft.

I'm also concerned about the long term effects on my belongings that are kept in the loft.

I couldn't say for certain that this isn't having a detrimental effect to the timbers, and with the lining that has been incorrectly installed to the inside i won't necessarily know until this is removed. One thing is for certain, the rafters do expand and contract with the seasons and this causes cosmetic issues within the property - anything i could do that may mitigate by balancing out the massive temperature/humidity differentials would be worthwhile in my opinion.
to be honest I rather doubt that tile vents will make any appreciable difference to the temperature on a hot sunny day

tile vents will help to remove the hot air a bit, but it wont stop radiant heat from heating the space

on the positive side, I wouldve thought a few tile vents wouldnt have a negative effect, provided whoever fits them doesnt break a load of tiles doing it or create leaks..........and it would improve air flow

Sponsored Links

Highly unlikely you get radiant heat through a ceiling of any consequence and timber is unaffected by being warm and dry .
So you opinion in my opinion is invalid.

There is not much you can do about it being cold in winter, but you might be able to make it a little cooler in the hot weather, as well as getting some free light. Could you add a Velux type opening window to the roof? Open it during the hot weather, and the heat within, will quickly disperse, especially so if the loft hatch is open.

to be honest I rather doubt that tile vents will make any appreciable difference to the temperature on a hot sunny day

tile vents will help to remove the hot air a bit, but it wont stop radiant heat from heating the space

on the positive side, I wouldve thought a few tile vents wouldnt have a negative effect, provided whoever fits them doesnt break a load of tiles doing it or create leaks..........and it would improve air flow
Air flow and the roof spaces ability to vent air properly is my key concern.

My neighbour is a roofer and has offered his services as a quid-pro-quo so costs would be minimal and i expect there shouldn't be any damage other than the usual few tiles, of which i have a stockpile.

Thanks for your input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back