Verge RePointing - Quotes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 6 year old new build modest 4bed home with a slated roof. Some of the mortar has cracked and fallen out of the verges. I have approached a couple of local roofing firms. One has suggested that all the mortar needs to be replaced at a cost of £3500: alternatively, he could fit a dry verge for £4200. When I asked about the need to remove edge slates etc, I was told that this wouldn’t be necessary as they would just scrape out the mortar and install a batten which they would attach the dry verge.

A second firm has quoted £1300 to replace the dry verge in the areas where it is crumbling/cracked. A chunk of the cost is for a cherry picker.

Some questions if I may. Is my situation covered by the NHBC guarantee? Is the guy quoting £3500/£4200 having a laugh? Can a dry verge actual be fitted without lifting some edge slates? I should add that the quote was from a company that covers the North Midlands.

I am inclined to accept the £1300 quote. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Natural slate.

I have just spoken to the NHBC. No interest whatsoever unless there is an associated roof leak. Chocolate fire guards come to mind.

Natural slate.

I have just spoken to the NHBC. No interest whatsoever unless there is an associated roof leak. Chocolate fire guards come to mind.
Yes NHBC are a waste of time, I don't use them when I do a new build. You might as well use their certificate when the toilet paper runs out.

Cement on slate tile edging? Do you have photos please.

Sponsored Links
Natural slate.

Despite what developers would have you believe, NHBC is merely a warranty that covers the mortgage providers (the real owners) assets and only for something that actually affects the property's value eg subsidence or another major defect.

IMG_1184.jpeg
IMG_1183.jpeg
IMG_0999.jpeg

If you have shown us all the work needed then the higher quotes are having a laugh surely. The internet suggests an average semi can have dry verge installed for around £875 and a cherry picker can be hired for around £250 - £300 per day. Two men in a cherry picker would only take a day and so take the £1300 if any. Of course every job is different and the £875 is only an average price so may be worth getting a few more quotes based on using a cherry picker as it would be cheaper than scaffold.

I'd say from the photos that patching up would be a waste of money. It looks like the bits that haven't fallen out are on their way.

I'd go back to Mr Cherry Picker and ask his price for full replacement. If he says under £2000 then say yes.

Internet price guides are often misleadingly low, they're probably based on years old prices or just fiction. It's impossible to gauge the price as we don't know how much there is to do.

Assuming continuous dry verge (type S)then the verge slates need to come off and cut back .
Anyone who says the slates can stay on don't intend to do it correctly .
I mention type s it's the only one worth considering .
Materials are cheap .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back