Very damaged arch lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok guys… need some help with this one… just bought a Victorian house, we’ve pulled out the dodgy electric fire and some loose mortar, which has revealed a badly damaged lintel. As you can see from the photo, half of the brick is still in place. I’m scared to touch it! Advice on next steps please!

Attachments

• IMG_8320.jpeg
    IMG_8320.jpeg
    497.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_8321.jpeg
    IMG_8321.jpeg
    292.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8322.jpeg
    IMG_8322.jpeg
    420.5 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
Chimney stacks are nearly self supporting . So don't panic. That arch is mostly decorative, Bricks only drop in a 45 degree triangle above the removed bricks see below.

If you want to repair it just just plug and screw at bit of 2x4 across the face of the line of bricks you want to keep at 100mm centres, then repair.

1720946545624.png

Ok guys… need some help with this one… just bought a Victorian house, we’ve pulled out the dodgy electric fire and some loose mortar, which has revealed a badly damaged lintel. As you can see from the photo, half of the brick is still in place. I’m scared to touch it! Advice on next steps please!

Just get some lengths of timber, inserted between the floor and arch bricks, applying pressure on the bricks of the arch which are firm. That will stabilise it, allow you to remove the damaged bricks. You can then insert and mortar in place, replacement bricks.

Sponsored Links
I don't understand your second picture. Which way is up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back