Victorian fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I've just knocked through / reinstated my fireplace in a 100year old victorian terrace and am looking for some advice in order to make good. The brick work at the rear is heat damaged and crumbling and I need to rebuild sections. My method is this: I intend to brush down as much as possible using a stiff brush and then pva liberally before rebuilding using bricks and cement. I also need to fit a lintel as the existing lintel is rusted and bent. In this regard I am just going to prop up using an acro prop and then fit a new wooden lintel at the top of the opening. Finally I intend to plaster inside and fit new hearth. Any tips / suggestions would be welcome. See below for a picture. Cheers, John.

Sponsored Links
Is the metal lintel still in position in the brickwork?

Given that you intend to use the opening for a fire of some kind, you must not use a wood lintel (never use a wood lintel in a chimney breast)- steel or concrete lintel only.

PVA will work but SBR is best for prepping.

No Acrow is necessary, unless the brickwork above is loose you may safely work without an Acrow.

Given the age - sweep and smoke test the flue(s).

Check the stack.

So far you've done a neat job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back