Victorian floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to restore our floor tiles which were hidden away under a laminate floor and stick on vinyl. We've done a decent job cleaning up the tiles but have a question regarding which kind of sealant is better for these type of tiles. see pictures

I've also got some cracks and gaps in the grouting and tiles I want to repair before it get's any worse. see pictures Any recommendations about how to to fill this in? grout? clear epoxy? any other adhesive? We're eventually going to do a proper repair replacing broken tiles and finishing off the pattern but this wont be for a while, I just don't want any cracks that are currently there to get any worse. Any advice would be much appreciated thanks.

Attachments

• 7c77eec4-c592-4448-bb10-c5389943c522.jpeg
    7c77eec4-c592-4448-bb10-c5389943c522.jpeg
    374.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 75731ed9-b02b-45aa-b637-397d6286e385.jpeg
    75731ed9-b02b-45aa-b637-397d6286e385.jpeg
    428.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0283.jpeg
    IMG_0283.jpeg
    448 KB · Views: 45
Sponsored Links
OP,
What a great looking floor you have - well done for bringing it back to life.
It still needs a little more elbow grease work to remove spots of adhesive.
But I wouldn't seal the floor with anything such as Lithothin or Thompsons. A final wash with a custom detergent, and a sponged rinse will leave it sparkling.

The base below the tiles appears to be cracking up at the bottom of pic #1. - possibly the cause of the cracked tiles. But not much you can do about it without lifting tiles.
I wouldn't attempt to fill the cracks - I would replace the damaged tiles.
Allow only soft shoe traffic & no heavy furniture.

I'm in the same situation, and would like to seal mine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back