Vintage Hot and Cold Tap Washer, What type of Washer it is? Where to buy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
I've these hot and cold tap. The washer used in these taps are not flat but perturbed. Top tap in the photo below is hot tap, which works fine. The bottom tap is cold tap, washer is worn out which makes this cold tap make hammering noise.
Not sure what type of washer it is? Where do I find these washers?

Tap brand is Dulwich.

Attachments

• IMG_9209.jpg
    IMG_9209.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    590.2 KB · Views: 42
Sponsored Links
I am not a plumber but don't understand what you mean by "perturbed". If you mean not flat, well, such tap washers which are flat when new will often (always?) deform after long usage. As far as I can see they look like standard old-style tap washers - maybe half-inch - although the one in the bottom photo looks more like a thinner rubber washer than a normal fatter tap washer. Latter available everywhere.

Bath or basin taps? 3/4 and 1/2 inch respectively is normal - but other sizes exist. Flat is usual but domed suit certain taps.

Washers both look wrong size and / or are damaged. The 'bottom' one seems to be missing the rubber washer retaining domed nut. If you don't have that part it may not be easy to get a spare...

Take them to a proper diy hardware / plumbers merchant type store (not the diy sheds) to seek advice and try samples until they fit?

Sponsored Links
1. They look to me as if they have had two washers fitted. The larger one which fits into the brass "cup", and a smaller one fitted on top.
2. I'd suggest getting the larger ones and fitting them inside the cups after removing all the existing washers. As Rodders53 states, they will likely be either 3/4" if bath taps or 1/2" if basin taps. Note these are nominal sizes and do not reflect the actual diameters of the washers.
3. Might be worth getting a selection box such as Screwfix item number 69671.
4. It also possible, particularly if the taps are old or you have aggressive water, that the tap seats are worn and the extra washers (if that is the case) added to make up for it. You can get tap re-seating tools, but if the seats are too far worn / corroded, there may not be enough material left to allow successful re-seating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back