Wages

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
What is the going pay rate for a trainee sparky?, I have passed the c&g 2360 part 1 and is now starting part 2.
I am looking for a job and i dont want an employer to take the pee!
If everyone could pop a reply in i would be most greatful.
Thanks for your time.
Mark

Sponsored Links
Blimey, whatever happened to the days when young 'uns did as they were told and took what was offered? I know you don't want to feel that you're being taken advantage of, Mark, but an employer is also taking a risk when he starts an apprentice. I hope you intend, as your part of the bargain, to turn up on time every day, to listen and do whatever is asked, to not pull sickies every Monday and to treat your employer with due respect.

I'm sure any company willing to take on apprentices will be paying a fair rate for the area. If I was such an employer and you questioned my rates I'd simply ask for the next applicant to be brought in.

I'm sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, and I'm sure you intend to become a reliable employee, but just be aware that as a new entrant into the trade your bargaining power is just about zero and rightly so.

Hello,

I understand what you are saying.

In the job i am working in i see people phoneing in sick everyday and their in the pub at lunchtime. etc....etc...

I have been sick 5days in 2 1/2 years, that gives me an approx 99% attendance. with references. A lot of pride goes into my work.

What would you as an employer say about that?

Reading from the previous thread, £7 a good starting rate?

The main reason i made this thread was to get an idea, and see where i would sit financially, as takeing a pay cut from the job i am working in at the moment, would end up me moveing house and changeing the way i lived.

Thanks for replys, all comments welcome

Mark

Sponsored Links
I was in my first year 9yrs ago, earning £2.70hr, but i knew that would rise, and today, i couldnt be happier.

Many apprent. only get £40 a week - period!!

Be greatful for being taught, there are many fully qual blokes on similar wages to what you are after!!

markdavids said:
I have been sick 5days in 2 1/2 years, that gives me an approx 99% attendance. with references. A lot of pride goes into my work.

What would you as an employer say about that?

I would say "Great!". No-one wants an employee who pulls sickies all the time. I know people whose careers have been severely stunted as their attendance means they aren't there enough to be promoted.

£7/hr seems reasonable to me. Remember, that £7 is being paid for through the guy who is training you so it is coming off the hourly rate. No £40 an hour just yet! :D

Thanks,

Don't get me wrong i would work for any amount of ££. However when paying £700+ a month on rent, bills, car maintenance. Trying to find a suitable wage to cover these costs to satisfy myself and the employer is hard.

I could settle for anything over £6 as it would cover the cost of living.

more replies welcome

Thanks

Mark

markdavids said:
...paying £700+ a month on rent, bills, car maintenance...
I could settle for anything over £6 as it would cover the cost of living.

Ouch! On a, now standard(ish), 37.5 hour week that comes to £225 a week before tax - more like £170 after tax. You sound like you have a healthy work ethic, but you're going to find it tough to make ends meet without overtime, I fear. I hope you find what you're looking for.

markdavids said:
However when paying £700+ a month on rent, bills, car maintenance.

Ouch! Yes, the cost of living is a lot when you add it all up. I suppose most apprentices probably continue their teenage living arrangements whilst they are doing it. I know a few "professional apprentices" (yes, there is such a thing! They work part-time whilst doing a company-funded degree in accounting and finance or some such thing). They all live with their parents.

Don't a lot of trades apprentices hire themselves out for small cash jobs whilst they do their training? I am sure I have heard of plumbing trainees doing this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back