Wall behind kitchen units a mess

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve removed kitten units for replacement and come across the following mess of a wall. There doesn’t appear to be any damp. This area will be hidden by the new units.

What would the recommended next steps be for the wall to prep it for new units?

IMG_7161.png

Sponsored Links
Ordinary filler does not stand up to damp. Plaster is not as bad, especially if painted. I prefer to see it patched and painted either to match the kitchen, or in white, so it is easy to clean or wash down.

Scrape away all the loose stuff first.

I don't see how you will safely fill or plaster that area. The electric cables are both recessed and surface mounted. Unless you are willing to chase in the surface mount cables, my advice would be to remove any loose paint and tosh the area with paint. As you said, it will be hidden by the new units.

Sponsored Links
I’ve removed kitten units for replacement and come across the following mess of a wall. There doesn’t appear to be any damp. This area will be hidden by the new units.
Did you see it before you removed the old units? I didn’t when I did mine. I only had the top skimmed as we were painting the walls. The bottom was left as it was.

IMG_1541.jpeg

Did you see it before you removed the old units? I didn’t when I did mine. I only had the top skimmed as we were painting the walls. The bottom was left as it was.

View attachment 349081
Great to know, thanks! No it was all hidden behind the old units, so as long as it’s not dangerous to just tidy up and leave as is, it should all be hidden behind the new cabinets.

OP,
A quick comment - I noticed that there are about 13 items & questions in my quick visual check list?
If you want any more advice then say so, & FWIW I'll reply this evening.
Do you intend or live there or are you flipping the house?

OP,
A quick comment - I noticed that there are about 13 items & questions in my quick visual check list?
If you want any more advice then say so, & FWIW I'll reply this evening.
Do you intend or live there or are you flipping the house?
More advice would be much appreciated, thank you! I’m intending to live there.

There will never be a better time for cleaning up the shambles.

You might want to add more sockets, or renew the plumbing, or repair the floor, or mortar in gaps to keep mice out.

Behind cabinets, you can use mini-trunking for cables, if you don't want to chase them in.

OP,
I. You will have to work out where you want your base units fitted esp. the sink unit - typically, sinks dont go in corners. Make a measured plan for base units and W/M & D/W & cooker(gas or elec?).
2. Do you intend to stop at the splash back tile? Or replace all the tile & the wall units?
3. Coming across a kitchen such as yours when I was fitting kitchens I would have cut & dropped all the copper to give a clear shot at the wall. The pipework could be re-used or later connected back in place.
4. All cable runs would be re-arranged in safe zones, & channelled in galvanised, say, SF 37mm 826VT.
Do you have a powerful extractor?
5. If needed, plaster would be replaced with a render mix of 3 sand & 1 lime, a 40mm no contact gap with the floor needed - no skim finish necessary for below the W/T or for large modern tiles in general.
6. The water service in your pic appears to be lead - if it is lead then change it to 25mm MDPE.
Check out Ultimate Handyman on you tube " changing lead water service".
7. An outside tap needs an internal valve - hot & cold supplies must also have valves.
8. The waste pipe in your pic is entering the wall very low.
9. Is the floor solid or suspended?
10. Can you post a pic of the outside?

More advice would be much appreciated, thank you! I’m intending to live there.

Walls, hidden by kitchen units, are always a total mess. Even if you clean, tidy it up, after just a few years, it will again be a mess - so why worry?

If it concerns you, just get a pot of emulsion paint, and slap a coat on it.

I wouldnt cover it with units. I would make a feature of it!!! Lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back