Wall Plate for Outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Having been a bit of a lurker I thought I would post to see if anyone has sensible suggestions on where I should locate my timber wall plates.

I am based in a very exposed location on the west coast of Scotland. I am replacing my old slate, rafter constructed roof on my out building with a tile and truss replacement.

I have had architects drawings done and truss design done and delivered.

However, I have noticed that I am going to run into an issue with my hip rafters and my wall plate. In that the wall plate, if it is located on the inner edge of the wall, will cause the hip rafter to intersect with the wall head as it's so wide. I was going to use heavy duty hold down straps to hold the wall plate in place, but this won't work if I relocate the wall plate to the outter edge.

I am wondering what the best option is, build up the wall plate on the inner edge, or move the wall plate to the outer edge and use a different hold down method (suggestions needed)

Photo attached to show width of walls

Attachments

• PXL_20240708_163254701.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240708_163254701.MP.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 26
Sponsored Links
This is a good site for wallplate detail although the trusses design may dictate where it needs to be placed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back