wall plate vs brick pocket (on internal block wall) for new double joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a stud wall to partition off an en-suite, the new stud will run parallel to the existing joists, unfortunately it wont be close enough to an existing joist to sister it so needs a new double joist for the sole plate (as per the BCO request).

BCO advised for the exterior wall that i should mechanically fix a wall plate and use a joist hanger to hang the new double joist but on the internal wall create a brick pocket for the joist to sit in.

In my simple head i would think that the wall plate option would be easier to implement at both ends of the new joist. With the cutting of block wall and levelling the hole vs a joist hanger on a wall plate which would enable the joist to just slot in.

so my question... is the wall plate and hanger going to be better on the internal block wall than a brick pocket or is there a reason it needs to be a pocket on the internal wall?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back