(Warped?) uPVC window repair advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Note: I've searched @ the existing threads on this forum, plus google, but couldn't find a final answer or solution, so asking for help. If you know of an existing source of info that resolves this problem, please feel free to simply link it. Thank you.

Hi all,

I have 2 large and tall patio upvc windows frames which are roughly 20 years old, possibly a little less, and which will be replaced in the next 2 years or so. In the meantime, they are extremely drafty and I would like to DIY fix them without spending too much money.

These are, on the left, a semi fixed frame which we open only sporadically in the summer with a sort of square key that came with the window, and a standard patio door type thing on the right that we open often as our main access to the garden, as you can see in the video.

The issues as I see it (please see video below for clarify):
- Very cold and draughty room in winter, feels like the doors are open even when it's all shut
- Left hand side frame is out of plumb or twisted in its casement, creating a large 15mm+ gap where air is coming through
- Both left and right hand side frame have large gaps, again between 8mm and 15mm+ which are causing draughts

The solution, as I've engineered it so far, but probably not ideal:
- Sealant or Gripfill type solution in the fixed left hand side casement to retain the frame in place
- Expanding draught proof tape in the "opening" side of the window, both right and left frames

Issue is I'm not sure if Gripfill will ruin the window material, or if the tape will work at all, hence this thread. Hope you can provide a little more advice or clarity if you've done a similar project or fix before and advice on best course of action.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Use 0b1 or CT1 polymer to stick. Use a bit of masking tape leaving a gap where you want it to go. Apply mastic. Pull tape. Final tool or finger along.
Draft excluder brush around the door may work well

The centre mullion has come loose from the slave door, this needs screwing back on at the very least which might help closing other gaps up

The centre mullion has come loose from the slave door, this needs screwing back on at the very least which might help closing other gaps up
Thank you - this is exactly what had happened. It was a world of botched additions to the centre mullion with locks and other door furniture that was screwed through the mullion with wrong screw lengths pushing it apart from the slave door effectively.

Have taken it all apart, angle grinded offending bits of screw and re-screwed everything together, with a bit of sealant to boost. Should be solid enough for the timeframe I need.

Slave door gap has now all but disappeared, although the master door still has a significant gap.

Is there anything else I can use to get the master door to pull together properly, rather than a simple draft excluder? I don't feel that will do the job properly.

Maybe a cavity closing wedge, although is it possible to put these between the centre mullion and the master door... ?

Thanks a mil

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Master door should ideally have shootbolts top and bottom to pull the door in like the slave, your master appears not to have any just deadbolts further up, as a temp fix maybe fit some sash jammers on the master to pull it onto the rubbers?

Master door should ideally have shootbolts top and bottom to pull the door in like the slave, your master appears not to have any just deadbolts further up, as a temp fix maybe fit some sash jammers on the master to pull it onto the rubbers?
Indeed the master only has some deadbolts towards the middle.

By jammers do you mean wedges I mentioned above? Sorry not in with the lingo! :)

Thanks again

Nevermind googled it, thanks, I'll do that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back