Was trapped in the lift of the high rise flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We were visiting a relative who lives in a high rise flat.
They asked us to take some empty cardboard boxes, because their recycle bin is full.

I had something sold on eBay, and was going to pack the stuff in the cardboard box to post away.
We were carrying the empty cardboard box into the lift, and was going to put them in the car.

As soon as we entered the lift, the door shut, and nothing worked.
All the buttons in the lift was non-functional, and the door was shut solid trapping us in the lift.

We pressed the emergency button on the panel, and some one answered. We told him that we are trapped in the lift, and no control buttons work. He abruptly answered with extremely disinterested voice, that we must wait at least a half on hour until they could come out to help us. The voice was cut off, and he disappeared leaving us in the trapping lift.

We were in panic state, because we felt the air was running out.
I told wife to call the relative to come out, and help us out.
Wife was reluctant to call the relative saying what could they do to help.
I told her they could come out, and press the open door button from the outside of the lift.
She did, and they came out, and pressed the button, and the door opened, and we were able to escape from the deadly lift.
Has this ever happen to you? It was a freightenning experience of 15 minutes trapped in the lift with air running out in the space.

Is the modern technology worth it? Are they safe and 100% error free?
Not being so can cost your life. I don't envy folks living or working the high rise buildings.

Next time when you go into a lift, ensure your phone is working and operational.
Even if it does, if they don't have the phone signal in the lift, and something like that ever happens, the it could be quite stressful experience.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Felt like it was.

They are well ventilated! I went in my first lift at 16, and have only rarely been in one since then, simply because there are no high rise around here, to need one - but it wouldn't bother me in the slightest, if I got stuck in one, or even if the ropes snapped.

They have automatic brakes, which come on, the instant the tension comes off the ropes.

Not really, your train of thought seems irrational, you're more likely to find a lottery ticket in the street and win the jackpot than dying in a lift.

In that situation, I would have thought that the majority of us would be bricking ourselves.
I would for sure........imagine if no one had answered the call?
John :)

They are well ventilated! I went in my first lift at 16, and have only rarely been in one since then, simply because there are no high rise around here, to need one - but it wouldn't bother me in the slightest, if I got stuck in one, or even if the ropes snapped.

They have automatic brakes, which come on, the instant the tension comes off the ropes.

Sure. It could be extremely stressful experience if it happened to you first time in your life.

Not really, your train of thought seems irrational, you're more likely to find a lottery ticket in the street and win the jackpot than dying in a lift.

Your thoughts seem too shallow. You are facing with the unknown reality happening to you in real life. Comparing that with some one falling off the stairs and driving sounds just not making sense at all. If there was a fire after that trapping, what chance have you got to come out alive? Unknown situation while trapped in the small space of the life is definitely stressful and scary to any normal person.

Well comfort yourself with the knowledge that now it's happened once, statistically you'll probably never get trapped in a lift for the rest of your life. So there is that. You do understand statistics right, it's how us humans evaluate everyday risks. I bet you've already done a hundred things today that are more likely to kill you than taking a lift.

Sure. It could be extremely stressful experience if it happened to you first time in your life.

Nope, they are as safe as houses. The worst risk, is of the building catching fire, with you trapped on the lift - which is why the advice is not to use a lift, in the event of a fire. Fires starts, power is cut, lift is stuck where ever it stops.

We were in panic state, because we felt the air was running out
I know a lift engineer, this is a common concern but the answer is: No, you won’t run out of air the lifts are not sealed they have gaps to the lift shaft which is well ventilated.

It might get a bit stuffy, that’s all

Personally I would be more worried about needing the loo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back