Waste pipe into ground floor bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

Hoping someone can help me out with this! We’re planning to add a second toilet downstairs, and the only spot that works is in the garage. It'll eventually have a toilet, sink, and a small shower.

I've already dug up a bit around where the waste pipe comes out of the house, but here’s the issue: there’s a rainwater pipe running right underneath the waste pipe. A bit further along, the waste pipe shifts slightly to the right and also goes a bit lower, but it’s still about 6 cm higher than the rainwater pipe at that point.

Any ideas on how I can make the connection work with the rainwater pipe in the way? I’m new to this and I would really appreciate any hints or tips to pull this off.

I’m not tackling the full bathroom just yet—just trying to sort out the waste pipe so I can pave the path for now. Also, I’ve hit a dead end with building regs because the company that was doing the inspections has gone bust, so I’m a bit stuck there.

Can I use a boss fitting like that, horizontally? Or is there an alternative to pull that off? So I can connect the shower, sink from the top and the toilet to continue through it to the outside?

Do I need to vent this?

Would really appreciate any advice! Cheers! :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_7.png
    Screenshot_7.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 20240928_213306.jpg
    20240928_213306.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 20240915_155106.jpg
    20240915_155106.jpg
    652.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240928_213330.jpg
    20240928_213330.jpg
    819.4 KB · Views: 37
Sponsored Links
If the surface water pipe interferes with making the sewer connection, break into the pipe as well or even move it, just maintain the fall for both.

20240915_155106_edit_77735542727200.jpg

As I've marked above, if the orange line is the rainwater and the purple the drain can you not dig out and remove the access point, replace with a suitable fitting and add a new access to the right through the wall?

I very much doubt you'll be allowed, (and I wouldn't want to put in), a blind connection for a WC. I would expect you'll need a small inspection chamber at the point where you break into the existing sewer, if you can find one with the lateral inlet at the same invert (level) as the through channel this will probably help.

I'd keep the pipework going into the house as low as possible to give yourself some leeway with the shower waste, especially if you want the Tray as close to the floor as you can.

Sponsored Links
If the surface water pipe interferes with making the sewer connection, break into the pipe as well or even move it, just maintain the fall for both.

Thanks! I think this is actually a great idea. I’ll just move the surface water pipe a bit to the left to make space for the waste pipe to go over it, and then connect everything with a Y-branch using a slightly angled bend fitting. Does that sound right?

1727729660692.png

As I've marked above, if the orange line is the rainwater and the purple the drain can you not dig out and remove the access point, replace with a suitable fitting and add a new access to the right through the wall?
That photo was more of a reference for where the pipes start and how they run on top of each other. I will be connecting into the waste pipe a few meters down where the garage is and where the waste pipe shifts to the right a bit to make space for the rest of the gutters to connect to the surface water pipe.

I would expect you'll need a small inspection chamber at the point where you break into the existing sewer, if you can find one with the lateral inlet at the same invert (level) as the through channel this will probably help.

Something like this you mean?
1727731733997.png

I'd keep the pipework going into the house as low as possible to give yourself some leeway with the shower waste, especially if you want the Tray as close to the floor as you can.

It’s 44.5 cm from the top of the waste pipe to DPC level. I’ll make the fall from the connection point into the house, and since it's only 82 cm from the waste pipe to the wall, I’m hoping the waste pipe will be deep enough to avoid the main water pipe that runs through the garage floor.

Something like this you mean?
View attachment 357379
Yes. Otherwise you run the risk, should the WC block, you'll struggle to unblock it, and you really don't want to be trying to do that from inside the property....

I would look at bringing the soil pipe up in a corner, then connecting everything in on the vertical section.

The waste pipe (the one on top) is too close to the neighbor's garage.

I'm not sure what to do in this situation.

Can I move the surface water pipe to the left, similar to the waste pipe, and then bring it back to the center? And can I move the current waste bend about 1 metre down the line to align the mini chamber with the hole in the wall?

Something like this?
1000016437.jpg

1000016437.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back