Waste pipework design (pictures!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody :D

The following is the general drainage design for our planned extension. There will be a bathroom upstairs, a cloackroom under the stairs and the kitchen in the groundfloor extension.

Here is the plan for the upstair bathroom, with the WC branch shown in red. It goes right to the soil stack.

Now I was wondering if I can avoid any additional venting and connect branch pipes for the basin, bidet and bath to the WC branch, lke this:

or should I do something like this

or this:

or something else? What do you think?

Thank you in advance for your time!

Sponsored Links
in my opinion i would go with Solution C aslong as the pipe going into the stack is correctly pipe sized, and would be worth while fitting anti siphon traps at the bidet and basin.

Solution B - would possible cause induced siphonage
Solution A - would prob work but when Wc is flushed there could be a chance of induced siphonage aswell

I would agree with sorted plumbing in the design of discharge system for the waste's. You'd need to to run a minimum of 2" pipe the entire lengh of the run with the excepted size waste;s tee'd in for each branch. Baring in mind tho, some buliding inspectors can be W@nKers , and demand the dischare values are correctly worked out and appropriate pipework fitted to suit. (For example: i had a w/m, dishwasher and sink on 2" and he made me upgrade it to 3" just because he could i reckon)

Thanx for the advice guys! I checked for 'solution C' as you suggested. Space is very limited but it should fit despite the added pipework.

Still, to completely avoid induced siphonage and any problem with the inspector, I'm now reconsidering an additional vent.

The vent pipe would be behind the WC, and would go up to the loft, before connecting to the main vented stack, as follows:

Would this solution completely eliminate the induced siphonage issue forever?

BTW, [warning, silly question...] do vented pan connectors exist?

Sponsored Links
Solution A would work, but you need to use deep seal anti-vac traps on the basin and bidet, and a deep seal p-trap for the bath.

hope that helps

Use A with an air admittance valve on the bath trap. "Anti vac" traps can be noisy. You only need one AAV, at the first waste.
EG one of these:
15516.gif

NB your basin and bidet waste pipes need to be 40mm not 32, and at 3m I'd use 50mm for the bath or it'll empty slowly.

Thanx everybody, that was GREAT help!!

So, the following is the layout now:

Question: regarding traps, what is the difference between a 3"/75 mm seal and a 1.1/2"/38 mm seal ? Which one is right for 40 mm pipes?

Also, a bath trap for a 50 mm pipe isn't very easy to find apparently :(

OK, got it, just in case somebody else needs to know:

'The seal dimensions below refer to the approximate depth of water trapped in the bend'

Time to go shopping now :D

Bad idea .

Flush the loo and the **** blocks the wastes

C was/is the only option except for the bidet which may have to be below the 110 branch

OK, but what if I send the wastes into the horizontal 110 mm pipe from the top, like this?

Solution C may not fit anymore if I have to use an individual waste for the bidet. Our space there is very limited.

For C, what would be the required size for the pipes going into the stack from basin/bath and bidet?

Also, why do you say the bidet waste may have to go below the branch? Regulations?

Feeling a bit confused now... :confused:

Height dear poster.

Unless you want to jack the bath and bidet up a couple of hundred mill it won't fit.

Do a google for Doc H

OK, thanx about doc H.

I just measured everthing and I think gradients (1.8 mm per meter minimum) will be no problem, given our floor void space.

Just one more silly question.

Assuming I do option C above, would the following branch be ok for the purpose?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back