water heater....diesel or gas....any ideas for me?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My name is matthew and I'm a self employed window cleaner and I joined this forum to try and find out information from plumbers/engineers.

I will explain what I do and need.

I use wfp to clean windows (water fed poles)
I have a 650L tank of purified water in my van with a 100psi shurflo pump which pumps through 100m of hose and then up my pole to clean windows.

Thats a cold system I run but there are hot water systems available but they can cost up to 10grand!!!!!

So I would like to turn my setup into a hot water system.

My only power source in the van is 12 v.

Where can I get a 12v/gas water heater to fit into my system.

I would like some kind of boiler that heats the water instantaneous as it passes through.

I cant afford the time to wait for it to heat up a 15L tank. A average house would use 20L min to clean it.

Any help would be appreciated

Matthew
Clear Vision

Sponsored Links
How about having some kind of bypass arrangement for the vehicle radiator so that you heat your tank of water with the vehicle engine cooling system?

nusku said:
How about having some kind of bypass arrangement for the vehicle radiator so that you heat your tank of water with the vehicle engine cooling system?

Good idea but the van is parked up with the engine off for 70% of the day. I clean a few houses then move down the road to the nex job

Sponsored Links
Clear Vision said:
What about a 12v element?

Using a 12V element on 650L of water would need a big array of elements and a lot of power. Just think of an immersion heater in a hot water cylinder which is around 120L in a house, thats 3kW odd which would be around 250A of current you would need from a battery!

A small engine you could leave running dumping heat you tank is another solution :)

nusku said:
Clear Vision said:
What about a 12v element?

Using a 12V element on 650L of water would need a big array of elements and a lot of power. Just think of an immersion heater in a hot water cylinder which is around 120L in a house, thats 3kW odd which would be around 250A of current you would need from a battery!

A small engine you could leave running dumping heat you tank is another solution :)

I see what you mean.

do you know of any silent diesel generaters?

To raise 670L of water by 40 deg C (from 20deg c to 60deg c) assuming ideal conditions you need:

4.2J of energy per g per deg C

4.2*670*1000*40 = 112.56MJ of energy

1W is 1J per second

So to heat the tank in 1 hour you need a:

112.56MJ/3600s = 31.266kW heater

This assumes the tank is ideally insulated and there are no heat losses!

I think all that maths is right!

Is it deffo a 670L tank? lol

maybe you could insulate the tank and fill it with hot water before you leave home

31kW is equivalent to an above-average size gas boiler in a house, running flat out. Or ten immersion heaters. But if you heated it at home overnight, one immersion heater could do it in ten hours.

JohnD said:
maybe you could insulate the tank and fill it with hot water before you leave home

31kW is equivalent to an above-average size gas boiler in a house, running flat out. Or ten immersion heaters. But if you heated it at home overnight, one immersion heater could do it in ten hours.

Kerching on the leccy costs of heating it as well...

A better solution would be heating it on demand, no idea what the best way of doing that in a portable manor is though!

about £3 of electricity. Less if you have economy 7. One paid-for job would lose that.

oh I dont know what to do.

I cant fill it with hot as the water has to go through a purification process first. After its purified its stored in 2 1000L ibc tanks in the gaden then pumped to the van every couple of days to fill the van tank up.

A on demand gas water boiler would be the best way.

Surely someone must know a way?

Thanks for your replys so far.

Matthew

here is a pic of the diesel heater/boiler unit thats installed in a window cleaning van

hotwatersetup.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back