Weathered bricks on bottom course could this be causing damp inside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I live in a house buuikt in 1890. It’s an end terraced house down the side of the house the bottom course of bricks is very weathered and the mortar is in a bad way. The side of the house is rendered above the DPC.
There was a an injection damp proof course done before we moved in and all the holes are left open.

We have noticed damp in both the back room and front room on the between the chimney breasts. The damp is rising from the floor up.

Could the weathered bricks be causing the water to soak in? And also do I need to cover the holes.

I have put some photos on apologies for the bad quality my camera is damaged.

Also we have a leak from around our chimney in the top rooms which are in the roof. I believe the soakers have failed I need to get up to make sure though. But could these be linked?

Attachments

• IMG_7284.jpeg
    IMG_7284.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7281.jpeg
    IMG_7281.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7283.jpeg
    IMG_7283.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7278.jpeg
    IMG_7278.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 16
Sponsored Links
OP,
Using a proper camera:
1. A pic of the side elevation would help - from ground level to chimney stacks.
2. So would pics showing the damp signs inside the house.
3. Carefully examine the lower walls at the front and rear elevations.
4. The possible damp penetration of the chimney stack flashing will have nothing to do with your ground floor damp. Please post pics of the stacks & their flashings when you are ready.
5. Pics of the damp signs in the FF upper rooms will also help. Going into the loft might show you damp staining on the loft c/breast?
6. Are any of your fireplaces blocked off? When were your flues swept?
7. You have a 9" solid gable wall - the drilled injection holes are in the brickwork, that method has not been used for many years. Maybe the bricks were drilled and DriRods were inserted - but the holes are typically plugged after drilling. Measure the depth of the holes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back