Weatherproof tape for exterior wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just like there is a tape to hide joints of plasterboard, is there anything similar but weatherproof and waterproof tape for sealing the exterior wood joints and can be also painted over?

I just added new thin board in an existing timber section and wondering if I can do something more in addition to the high performance wood filler to seal the joints so rain water doesn’t seep in through the joints especially where the water drops can sit in the horizontal sections. Wood filler although gets hard but may crack eventually due to expansion/contraction of wood.

Sponsored Links
not really as wood expands and contracts
it will also just look like wood with tape on painted over as there is filler applied to the chamfered edge to give a flat face with plasterboard

Is there any transparent weatherproof and water resistant adhesive tape compatible with wood I can put over once the joint has been painted over? I am concerned that due to hot and cold weather cycles the joint may slightly open up and let water in. It is on a non-visible part of the wood so don’t mind the aesthetics aesthetically but need to have a strong adhesion with wood and good sealing.

If you don't mind the aesthetics and the taped part won't be visible anyway, why does the tape have to be transparent?
If you paint the joint first then apply tape, the tape will have to stick to paint, not to wood.

Sponsored Links
This week, I had to deal with a plywood door that had severe rot.

plydoor.jpg

I removed various layers of ply, used wood hardener and then glued in new 12mm hardwood ply using epoxy resins. Epoxy resins are slightly flexible, regular two pack filler isn't.

Epoxy resins are however much more expensive than 2k fillers. Additionally they, often, need dedicated 2 barrel gun to dispense the resin.

If it is a join where the rails and stiles meet, at a push, you could use masking tape and a MS polymer caulk- eg CT1. You will however end up with a slight ridge, but it should be able to deal with movement. Oh, and it will need to primed with water based primer before you apply any oil based paint. Oil based paints over MS polymers do not cure- no idea why- months later, the paint will still be tacky. Apply waterbased paint first- no problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back