Weeping inline isolation valve

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Switched off the screw head type inline isolation valve to do a fix on my toilet.
But when turned back on again (or even on off position) it weeps.
Ptfe tape is not an option as not feasible to put on, so out off desperation just covered i it fernox lsx in the hope the very slow dripping will eventually stop when it hardens.

Any other suggestions out there please other than biting the bullet and changing the valve?

Sponsored Links
Wipe off the LSX as it wont do anything.
Those ruddy things start leaking every time I so much as look at one of them!
I know. They're bloody annoying.... Need to drain the header tank to fix now....

Sponsored Links
Is there anything else a can squirt over the top to seal it like silicon sealant?

I don't think Silicon sealer adheres to anything wet ... it may be worth opening a closing it a few times if you haven't already.
Ray

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Is there anything else a can squirt over the top to seal it like silicon sealant?

MS polymers might work. They will adhere to wet/damp surfaces, but you would need to turn off the water supply for an hour or two until the MS polymer sets.

I am not a plumber, but I hate those fittings. I now only use lever valves, and in particular, Peglar ones- I once had a nameless Toolstation one that snapped and caused £7k of damage 3 years after I fitted it.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
There's a knack that can sometimes make them stop leaking...

Hard to explain in words really as it's a touchy feely thing.

You slightly push in on the slot as you turn it and then release. This can allow a micro in/out movement of the "ball" that clears a bit of debris and allows it to seal back up.

Bite the bullet and swap out the iso valve, pushfit are much easier to fit if you don't the skills or confidence for a compression fitting.

• Thanks
It'll need replacing with a decent quality one.

You could try CT1 but even then I doubt it would work.

Last edited:
  • Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back