Welding on a new mains tap handle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The actual " handle" of my mains water tap has become loose , it just turns , ive removed the little screw and taken it off , the fixing is mangled , however can be turned with a small spanner , now I know that I could put the handle back on and tack it with a small weld , however is there a safety issue with a quick weld on a water pipe that ultimately leads to the boiler ,by the way boiler is on a different floor, I know this question may sound bizare but i regularly weld cars and the advice when welding cars is to disconnect battery as welding could damage electrics , thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Can’t you turn it off in the road and fit a new stop cock

I don’t know about the electrics, I guess it will be earthed

Well I could but it will also turn everyone else on the streets off and knowing my luck a 20 minute job will turn into a day's work

Sponsored Links
Well I could but it will also turn everyone else on the streets off and knowing my luck a 20 minute job will turn into a day's work
Warn them , perhaps with a days notice, followed up by an hour or so before, that you are doing some maintenance work on your water main stopcock.
Neighbours are usually accommodating if you treat them reasonably.
It probably will not turn off the whole street, just a pair or four houses.

Or call in a professional who can 'freeze' the supply.

Or hire the kit.

Last edited:
Epoxy putty might fix it. Depends on what shapes are there that need to fit together.

You could also drill through and fit a low diameter roll pin.

Nothing wrong with soldering the handle back on (gas torch, flux and solder) and it would probably last, replacing would obviously be a more complete job though.

Arc/MIG/TIG welding on steel is different as it's using high currents conducted through the cars bodywork. Hence why best to disconnect the battery - lead. Any of the car electrical systems that are on a permanent live and ground through the cars bodywork could be damaged by the high current spikes, if there's a completed circuit via the battery.

Just an FYI. As a total DIY first timer, I bought a freeze kit from Screwfix, and changed my stop cock. The whole process went completely as planned. Just in case, I had a plan B involving a hosepipe going out into the garden with a suitable fitting for the cut end of the incoming pipe, but it was not needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back