What actually is the white stuff on underside of felt due to lack of ventilation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Screenshot_20240711-190858.png

Hi all

I know the white stuff in photo is from lack of ventilation in loft. I have been trying to tackle this lately, it's only in one certain but (above bathroom).
Tonight I tried to wipe it with a dry trowel and it sorted of powdered away. I'm now a bit paranoid as to how unhealthy the stuff is especially as my son was climbing the loft ladder as I did this. So basically I'm wondering if anyone knows what the stuff actually is (and how harmful it is if disturbed in small quantity)?

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Hi all

Any advice on this would be much appreciated .

Does the photo above seem generally what you would expect from condensation in the loft that has dried out? Basically over the winter there is a lot of moisture at this but and it seems that the whiteness has come over time but I'm curious if this is what you would expect the effects of condensation to look like

Just a bit of white spot mould, pretty common caused by excessive condensation, don't be paranoid, pretty harmless in the grand scheme of things. Frankly I'd be more concerned with social media, global warming, the apocalypse and sexting and the like with regards to my sprogs than a bit of mould in the loft.

I think condensation has been brought up before on the forum, have a read through some similar threads: https://www.diynot.com/diy/search/3929500/?q=condensation+in+lofts&o=relevance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back