What hinges for a 30kg door? (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking for some advice for the type of hinges to use with my new door. The existing door due to be replaced is a standard 35mm door which is fixed with 2 x 100mm hinges (which i beleive are typically used with fire doors). These hinges are cut into the door but not the door frame. (See photo)
1000010328.jpg

The new door, also 35mm will weigh more than the current installation at around 30kg and the manufacturer recommended 3 hinges be used. My questions are

1. Do I need 3 hinges
2. Should I use the same hinge size as previous? This might make like easier although these seem quite large for a 35mm door? I'm wondering if it might be worth re-doing using 75mm hinges.
3. And finally should I cut out the hinges into door frame? The existing door does not have this but is cut deeper into the actual door.

Sponsored Links
Fit 3 hinges as recommended.
Quality ball bearing hinges required.
To get a 3mm gap around door you will need to cut hinges in the door and frame.
Up to you on size of hinges required.

I've recently seen lift off hinges on heavy fire doors. Fitted maybe 10+ years ago and need replacing now.
Interesting.

Sponsored Links
3 hinges 75mm fire rated will hold 30kg doors without any problem.
I prefer them to the chunkier 100mm, so if you're within tolerance you might go for them.

Assume there's no issue in cutting the hinge in at double the depth on the door and just screwing the hinge (without a cut out) direct to the frame as previously done?

Thanks boringgoldcoder but there's more than 1 way to skin a cat and I'm assuming cutting double the depth into the door negates the need for cutting into the frame to achieve the necessary gap.

Has anyone else seen it done this way much. As I mentioned that's how my existing doors have been hung, hence wondering I should do the same.

No, don't do it.
It will look bad and hinges won't work as intended.
That routed rebate basically holds the door.
Screws only keep it still, but the weight is on the rebate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back