What is the purpose of the battery in the bell box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, the question in the title will be extremely obvious to many, and I understand that it's to provide a 'back up in the event of a power cut'.

However, in the event of a power cut, does the bell box siren and strobe not run from the 12v backup battery connected inside the panel in the house?

Long story short I have just about finished renovating a house that had an old Texecom Veritas R8 alarm which was fitted in 1996.
I have had to move the panel from a wardrobe to the attic, move the RKP to a different room, replace a couple of cable runs and I've also replaced all the PIRs (prev owner was a heavy smoker and the garage PIR had failed).

All is working lovely, it's all set up how we want it and everything is now shiny and clean, but the 12v battery had a date of 2004 on it, so was well past it (now replaced).
I would imagine the bell box battery would be of equal age or possibly older so I was just wondering what the exact purpose of the battery in there is if there is a backup battery in the alarm panel itself.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If some criminal cuts the cable to the bell box then the battery in the box will enable the bell box siren to activate.

The cable will have a "hold off" wire which supplies 12 volt control signal to the bell box to prevent the bell box siren from sounding

Cut or melt a hole in plastic bell box and cut siren wire.
Jobs a goodun.
If metal box fill with foam.
I wonder what companies do now to prevent this

Sponsored Links
If some criminal cuts the cable to the bell box then the battery in the box will enable the bell box siren to activate.

The cable will have a "hold off" wire which supplies 12 volt control signal to the bell box to prevent the bell box siren from sounding
Of course, that makes obvious sense now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back