What is this bit of my (roof structure) called and can I cut into it without my house falling down :D

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We need to get into corner of our loft for maintenance. At the moment we have to crawl through this hole in the wood and it's very tight and unpleasant!

There is the same wooden hole at other end of the loft - again we'd like to cut into that for same reason.

Can anyone please advise if this hole has a name and also
Could we cut more sections out of the wood to allow for easier access, nearer to the wall area, or would this cause structural issues?
If so, even if we only cut out a tiny bit to allow for eg a hand to poke through?

Many thanks for any advice :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-03 162657.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-10-03 162657.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
You mean the piece of ply?

It's often done in loft conversions to separate the heated and clean living area from the cold and dirty eaves. I call it a knee wall. If flooring was previously added to the loft it was probably done then.

A ply membrane between timbers adds strength and rigidity in the same way as the webs in a beam. I don't think I've seen anything like yours in a roof design before, though.

Sponsored Links
We need to get into corner of our loft for maintenance. At the moment we have to crawl through this hole in the wood and it's very tight and unpleasant!

There is the same wooden hole at other end of the loft - again we'd like to cut into that for same reason.

It looks as if it has been added, after the original build, but why that was done, is anyone's guess. My roof is similar, and I did similar, and more, to make my loft a more useable space. Possibly, the owner of that property, perhaps had a similar plan, but the progress of the plan was interrupted?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back