What is this seemingly attached to underground gas line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

As the title really. My dad has taken his block paving up and came across this (pics attached) only a couple of inches lower than the blocks. The bit with the red cap on feels loose but not sure it is and the tube is just kinked and taped. He had his meter moved about 15 years ago so we're assuming it was done then but not sure. Any ideas what it is and if its safe. I'm sure it should be lower for a start

Sponsored Links
Dont think it has anything to do with gas, the yellow pipe is the gas service pipe , but havent a clue what that is, did he have cable TV at some point ?

If that folded over section is definitely connected to the Gas pipe then I'd give Cadent (or whoever the Transporter is), a call and ask them to come and have a look.

I'm going to get him to dig a bit more out to get a better look but he's obviously a bit wary now. From what he's shown me it looks like the yellow pipe goes into a black collar and I assume the other side of that is the original pipe.

He does have cable TV but not anywhere near that part of the house

Sponsored Links
Looks like it is part of the gas line in, as per @Hugh Jaleak, contact the Transporter. Looks like it could be something to do with purging?

Without some more excavation, brushing away the sand and a clearer picture, it's impossible to tell.
It'll be soundly connected if gas (or he'd smell it) so further exposure with trowel and brush won't hurt.

A service pipe to the property still wont be under ridiculous pressure, I've seen the Gas Boys use a broom handle, a plug of Denso tape and electrical tape to seal (temporarily) a damaged or broken service.

I wouldn't say it's impossible they've folded over a redundant service and taped it up to seal, then buried it again....

The pipe isnt yellow so it wont be a legal gas pipe whether someone has been upto something naughty in the past would need a bit more excavation to see were it comes from

The pipe isnt yellow so it wont be a legal gas pipe whether someone has been upto something naughty in the past would need a bit more excavation to see were it comes from
It does have yellow tape on it though :D

Come on Monty, we need an update!

Andy
Sorry

I showed the pics to a plumber/gas engineer yesterday who said he'd come across similar before and believes them to be test nipples for a join in the pipe. He said they're normally snapped off but sometimes they can't be bothered and leave them on.
He said he'd have no concern over them but did say the pipe should be deeper in the ground.

I've passed everything I've been told by him and on here to my dad.....he thinks he's just gonna bury it again and forget about it.
Were it me I'd be getting cadent to investigate but not my call

Sorry

I showed the pics to a plumber/gas engineer yesterday who said he'd come across similar before and believes them to be test nipples for a join in the pipe. He said they're normally snapped off but sometimes they can't be bothered and leave them on.
He said he'd have no concern over them but did say the pipe should be deeper in the ground.

I've passed everything I've been told by him and on here to my dad.....he thinks he's just gonna bury it again and forget about it.
Were it me I'd be getting cadent to investigate but not my call
your guy is talking absolute shyte ,
Cadent is free by the way and would be out within a couple of hours

Without some more excavation, brushing away the sand and a clearer picture, it's impossible to tell.
It'll be soundly connected if gas (or he'd smell it) so further exposure with trowel and brush won't hurt.
Needs to be uncovered to see what is going on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back