What is wrong with my bathroom plumbing?!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok guys
Heres the problem!

Questions said:
1) Boiler make / model (gas or oil)

2) What is / is not happening

3) Has ANYTHING else been done / changed recently

4) When did it (problem) start

5) When does it happen? eg, heating coming on or going off

6) Anything else you feel may be of relevance

The answers:

I had a Bosch Worcester Greenstar 25si.....almost all new radiators...powerflush etc etc installed about 8 months ago by a pair of Corgi plumbers who did (it seems) a decent job.

The old system was tank fed and the pipes were just bridged up in the loft when the combi was fitted.

The problem is that I am getting a serious hammering sound from the hot and cold basin taps in the bathroom (directly below the loft) but NOT at all times of the day!

its strange, This is a really seriously loud noise as well! I have replaced both tap washers and checked how well fastened the pipes are in the loft. Well, they are not well fastened at all from where they removed the old water tank but are clipped in a couple of places to some beams on their route back downstairs (I would have had the excess pipework chopped out but it was going to be a real pain and they said it would be fine as is). I have tried securing these better and had two people hold them rigid against their runs while testing the system and the noise is still there?

The problem was noticed immediately after the new system was installed but the house was being renovated and not lived in prior and as it had no heating it was never really tested!So could have been there all along.

It doesnt 'seem' to do it all the time in the daytime when the heating is on, yet it does it in the evenings pretty much whenever I use the taps?
it doesnt seem that the heating HAS to be on for it to do it and the bath taps do not make the same noise...(same bathroom)

Can anyone point me in the direction of what might be wrong please? I am starting to pull my hair out as the neighbours have started complaining about the racket when someone uses the bathroom in the night!!!! It is THAT loud :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me like water hammer. During the day due to ppl using water in your street you will probably get less water pressure than you would at night, which it seems when it becomes even more apparent. I suggest you get a pressure reducing valve fitted on your incomming supply to eliminate the water hammer, also check that as much of the pipework you can physically get access to is clipped.

Try adjusting your stoptap down bit by bit. Try to turn it down enough to maintain adeqate flow and it may get shot of the noise. :D

You should fit a water hammer arrester as close to the main noise area as possible, this should do the trick.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info chaps.
Welshman - good advice here. Thanks , I wil look into clipping all possible pipes down!

Bahco - thanks for the suggestion, I tried this and it did stop the hammer from the cold tap when I turned the pressure down, but the hot tap was just as bad?

Gigs ... Looking into one of these...thanks.
Though it sounds like a bit of a bandaid that is not guaranteed to work?!

Breesey...new taps? are you sure this will do the trick? if so I may jsut go this route!

Breesey...new taps? are you sure this will do the trick? if so I may jsut go this route!

As sure as I can be from here. Can you swap taps from somewhere else to check it. Then again though, will 25 quid at B&Q break the bank! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back