What material for underfloor heating.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys and gals,

Before winter I'm going to take on the task of laying electric underfloor heating in our flat. (Second floor of an old converted house).

We currently have exposed wooden floors, they're drafty as hell as no insulation underneath them, just empty space.

What should I lay on them before laying the electric underfloor heating, then what should I put on top of that before I put the click board laminate flooring on top?

Definitely want to add some insulation of some form as one of the layers. So guessing that goes under the electric heating so I'm not heating downstairs ceiling.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Don't do it. Electric heating is fiendishly expensive to run.

Fit quality underlay and carpet rather than laminate - the noise from which will infuriate those below and may well be prohibited in the Lease. Do read it to check.

You should be getting free heat from downstairs. Heat rises. Cold air falls.

@Rodders53 Thanks for the response.

And FOOOK me you're correct. Apparently £2.90 to run a full system an hour, that's £30 a day, £900 a month. That's bonkers! How can anyone pay that.

Sponsored Links
You don’t get much heat with wire UFH through laminate as well. Carpets would be best.

Seems like I might not do it then.
So what about insulation under the flooring? Instead of underfloor heating.

Just to make the place warmer.

You can possibly lift the floorboards and fill voids with Rockwool or similar. Main benefit will be sound insulation from below. Heat rises!!! So you'd prevent downstairs heat from getting in your property, though.

Doing it will be noisy and disruptive. Speak to downstairs first! And check If allowed under the Lease terms!

If the floor void is ventilated, draught proofing would be beneficial. Filling gaps between floorboards and around the perimeter should help reduce such draughts. Decent carpet underlay will help to fairly effectively, too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back