What needs upgrading to exchange a plug in oven for one over 3kW?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We currently have an oven installed which connects via a standard plug. Unfortunately it's on its last legs.

Despite pleas to exchange to a similar wattage oven, my wife has her eyes on one that is over 3kW which I understand then has to be hard wired.

I know I'll require an electrician to do this, but I'd like to understand what's involved (partly to gauge time/cost/whether it's worth an argument!).

Currently next to the plug socket there's an FCU (see attached image) which I'm presuming is 13 amp .

Would the electrician need to replace that with a hard wired version with larger fuse?

Would there be a requirement to change the cable between the FCU and the fuse box (the oven looks to have a dedicated circuit)?

Can the switch stay where it is, it doesn't have to moved above the counter so it's visible?

Changing the cable/moving the switch sounds like more trouble than it's worth, but if it's just a case of them swapping fuses/FCU's then I'm hoping that would be straightforward/quick and therefore an option.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• PXL_20240825_195302780 (1).jpg
    PXL_20240825_195302780 (1).jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Cooker_circuit.jpg
    Cooker_circuit.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
Would the electrician need to replace that with a hard wired version with larger fuse?
13amp is the biggest fuse. BUT, like everything, it depends on what is feeding the FCU and (maybe the socket next to it.
If you are lucky, the will be fed from "cooker" radial circuit. This will have maybe a 32amp fuse in the Consumers Unit, and a single thickish cable running to the kitchen .
Or mayb e the original "cooker" circuit is being used for something else, like an electric hob? Or maybe it has been snaffled for some other purpose, maybe a hot tub, or a lathe, or an engine hoist.

This means a bit more investigation work from you in order for us to give you even half an answer. Or you'll need an electrician on site.

The MCB which says cooker says 16 amp, so likely FCU can be changed for cooker outlet without much hassle. Assuming RCD protected.

Further assuming that 16amps is adequate for the size of the cooker, and the 'cooker' does not include a hob, further assuming the same circuit does not presently supply a hob.

Sponsored Links
The MCB which says cooker says 16 amp, so likely FCU can be changed for cooker outlet without much hassle. Assuming RCD protected.
Our replies crossed in the ether!
Dear @TheFunk please turn off tghe 16amp MCB marked cooker and tell us what is then not powered. Is it just the FCU (oven) or is it also the socket next to it? Or anything else as well?

Thanks all.

@ericmark & @Taylortwocities I turned off the 16amp MCB and it appears that only the oven is on that circuit. I thought the gas hob, the other plug also behind the oven, would be on it due to proximity but that's on a separate circuit.

I can't provide much info on the cables. For some reason the cable running down to the plug socket and then across to the FCU is slightly larger in size than the one running out of the FCU.

The larger cables measures 10 X 6mm and the only writing I can see on them is 'BASEC Cable' & 'Pirelli Cable 20'. The smaller cable measures 10 X 4mm.

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• PXL_20240829_184854146.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20240829_184854146.NIGHT.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 28
Further assuming that 16amps is adequate for the size of the cooker, and the 'cooker' does not include a hob, further assuming the same circuit does not presently supply a hob.
True. Taking diversity into account, a 16A circuit can only supposrt cooking appliance(s) with a total 'current rating' of 30A (about 6.9 kW).

Read these answers, most by electricians, but one by a decorator (???)

No wonder Joe Public is confused when the sparks give so many different answers.

When you open the link, after a few seconds another window appears, just click the red cross to get rid of it.

Hardwired connection only
Required Fuse (A): 15
No such thing.
In the UK, as in yours, a circuit can be protected by an MCB of 16amps. (That’s your best bet)
Otherwise, a standard “plug” fuse is max 13amp.
For your oven, on a circuit that is already protected by a 16AMP MCB, the easiest way is to change the socket to a 20amp double pole switch and wire your oven to that.
Something like THIS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back