What Rot is this Rot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Attached are a couple of photos of a mystery fungus in the cellar:

It seems to be coming from the soil behind the a stone retaining wall where the water main enters the house. It's pure, brilliant white and has spread even further since I took the pictures.

So, fungal experts, what are we looking at? Is it dry rot, ready to spread to the floor joists...?
1000024138.jpg

1000024139.jpg

Sponsored Links
I don't think dry rot would have originated in soil outside the house, it would come from rotten timbers within the house, so if there is not significant signs of dry rot already in the house, then I very much doubt this is dry rot. Probably some fungus that grows outdoors that shouldn't be a problem to your house.

I'm no expert though.

Here's a couple more pictures (under slightly different lighting) of an outbreak near the hole shown above.

Attachments

• PXL_20240526_100602795.jpg
    PXL_20240526_100602795.jpg
    663.3 KB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20240526_100558503.jpg
    PXL_20240526_100558503.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
is it salts ? (probably more technically known as Efflorescence)

we used to have an old property with a cellar, some parts of the cellar were particularly damp and these white salts would appear (althogh i don't recall them forming such fascinating and intricate fern like structures as yours do).

we had wet rot and in other places dry rot, and the Dry Rot (the one you have to worry about) never looked like what you have - or at least the version of dry rot we had (3 outbreaks (1 serious) in 27 years) never looked like that, there could be other versions!

is it salts ? (probably more technically known as Efflorescence)

we used to have an old property with a cellar, some parts of the cellar were particularly damp and these white salts would appear (althogh i don't recall them forming such fascinating and intricate fern like structures as yours do).

we had wet rot and in other places dry rot, and the Dry Rot (the one you have to worry about) never looked like what you have - or at least the version of dry rot we had (3 outbreaks (1 serious) in 27 years) never looked like that, there could be other versions!
Good suggestion! It's definitely a fungus though.
Here it is again, now growing under the cavity drain membrane...
PXL_20240710_061322738.jpg
PXL_20240710_061341461.jpg
Thanks for helping relax me that it's not dry rot!

Did that suggestion come from a reverse image search...? :D

It's definitely not growing on old, dead branches, which is where that species prefers to grow.

Now, should I leave it to grow, or attempt to spray fungicide behind the membrane...?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back