What should I do with a small damp patch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What should I do with a small damp patch? The paint has been flaky but not black or mouldy
It's at the bottom of a wall where the old wall meets the extension.
It's a concrete floor.
20240709_144815.jpg
20240709_144825.jpg
20240709_150106.jpg
20240709_150119.jpg

Sponsored Links
On this picture I can see a brick at the bottom of the wall that appears to bridge the cavity.
Screenshot_20240719-154056_Photos.jpg

might be dripping or spilling from the gutter. The watermark looks quite high on the inside.

Outside, the corner looks like it has persistent damp. Stand back and take wide pictures of the entire wall, all the way up to the roof and showing gutters, downpipes, plumbing and boiler vent. Is there a bathroom above?

what is that bit of wood in the inside wall?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks John, I'll take those when I'm next there.
It seems like the wood is a batten to attach the plasterboard?

might be dripping or spilling from the gutter. The watermark looks quite high on the inside.

Outside, the corner looks like it has persistent damp. Stand back and take wide pictures of the entire wall, all the way up to the roof and showing gutters, downpipes, plumbing and boiler vent. Is there a bathroom above?

what is that bit of wood in the inside wall?
IMG-20240722-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20240722-WA0001.jpg

A few feet of the cement seems to slope towards the back of the house, there is a drain there though.

A few feet of the cement seems to slope towards the back of the house, there is a drain there though.
Looking at the first picture, the brickwork seems darker around the soil pipe and downpipe, starting near the top and running all the way down to the ground. Soil pipes do not leak from the top so more likely there is a leaking gutter connection or blocked downpipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back