What sort of radiator valve is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new house with a mess of a heating system. A couple of the radiators have these valves which have a screw on cap. They do not seem to be adjustable like a lock shield valve (thought one does turn a little with a wrench). So.. I am wondering what exactly they are, what they're for, and whether I should just replace them with a TRV or lockshield.

20241006_143022.jpg

20241006_143035.jpg

Sponsored Links
they are adjustable you need to get a spanner on the flats on the spindle. Looking at those though they could well be stuck open. they are standard lock shield valves, or at least that one is.

Thanks. I will give the spanner a go.. which part should turn the top shaft (blue arrow) or the hex shaped (green arrow) thing below?
Adjust-where.jpg

The top bit but be careful. If the valve is jammed you could break the spindle off and that could cause all sorts of wet havoc.

Sponsored Links
The top bit but be careful. If the valve is jammed you could break the spindle off and that could cause all sorts of wet havoc.
Thanks for the warning.. I might play it safe and get it (and many other valves) replaced.

Adjust the upper part, with the blue arrow. The plastic top you removed, was just a cap, to hide the valve, which is just a lock shield valve. Some have an adjuster cap. The idea is to balance the flow, through each radiator, using those valves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back