What to do with the additional earthing wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! I’ve bought new pendant lamps (see pic 1and 2) and was replacing them when I realised they don’t have an earth wire terminal (but the wiring in the ceiling does) - see pic 3.

The light doesn’t say it’s double insulated (it doesn’t have the symbol) - how can I tell otherwise?

If it is, do I just add a terminal block to the additional earthing wire?

Thoughts greatly appreciated!

239258EA-4965-4461-A829-C49CAE23DC9B.jpeg

B172A42C-CC58-4DCA-902E-C77901B1FEEA.jpeg

627E8BA7-5386-46C9-8E8F-466C2C2B1E41.jpeg

Sponsored Links
If the earth isn't needed then it can be put into a separate terminal block.

However if the top part of that light fitting is metal, then the light fitting cannot possibly be double insulated / class II unless that terminal block is completely enclosed in something, such as a plastic box.

Is the light fixed to the ceiling on a metal bracket and the fitting is fixed to the bracket with a couple of metal screws? If the base is metal I'd get some flex, strip it and get the earth from it. I would stick the earth at the pendant on a connector and the earth from the flex into the other end of the connector then wrap the other end of the single earth from the flex around the screw you've screwed the bracket to the ceiling with. Gives you an earth when the fitting is screwed up just to be on the safe side. You can use any earth cable but with flex being multi core it's easier to wrap around the screw

Sponsored Links
What does the rest of the silver label on the side of the lamp holder say?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back