What type of check valve ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a mixer shower (Newteam) which is fed from the hot water cylinder (via a special flange of some sort I believe).

When it's first started up it sounds like it's pumping air for a while before the water starts to come out and the pump motor goes nuts. It doesn't appear to have any check valves in the 15mm supply pipes..... should there be, and if so do I need the single or double type ?

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Robin

Sponsored Links
It sounds as though it's been poorly piped.

Any photos?

Sorry, no - not without major upheaval in the loft I'm afraid.

I recently replaced the shower as the motor brushes had worn out and I couldn't get any replacements, it was a like for like swap almost, same make, fixing centres and pipe inlet positions, the only difference being that the new shower didn't have a speed control.

The new shower unit is a New Team 1000XT Thermostatic.

The old shower didn't have the same issue so I wasn't suspecting an original installation issue (but maybe I've cocked something up or there were internal check valves on the old shower which aren't present on the new shower perhaps ?)

There are no leaks as far as I can I can see. I was wondering whether there was a small air leak which was allowing one of the feed pipes to drain, hence the question about check valves.

Would you normally fit check valves in the feed pipes ?

T.I.A

Sponsored Links
wobbin said:
Sorry, no - not without major upheaval in the loft I'm afraid.
OK, but the more interesting pipework is where it connects to the DHW cylinder, or outlet from that.

Would you normally fit check valves in the feed pipes ?
Not without thinking about why I was doing it. For example, there are valves that mix mains cold and stored hot, and for many reasons I would fit a check valve on both supplied.

You might find that a check valve makes your symptom go away, but if aeration is the underlying problem then it won't fix the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back