When is it best to replace windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! Recently bought a property with older double glazing, think it's marked 88 as year of manufacture. It's obviously old so won't be that efficient, but despite this the bungalow keeps its heat fairly well and i shut some heavier curtains overnight.

No blown panels, but the window frames look worn and there is some notable noise from outside at times.

I will probably end up replacing them but wanted to check if there is any other way to tell if it's worth an upgrade? I've ordered a basic laser thermometer to check any heat loss (not paying for an infrared camera just yet!) But wondered if there is any other easy "tell" that an upgrade would be worth it?

Sponsored Links
if its upvc in good condition, provided it is at least 24mm thick double glazing you could replace the glass for the latest spec soft coat / low e / warm edge spacer bar

if you get condensation its worth doing for that alone

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. Will check with a feature and temp guage then weigh it up. Feels fairly warm with curtains shut so yeah, might hold off for a few more years.

Follow up questions, how do you easily measure glass thickness? Hard to tell given the frame but I think it's thinner than 24mm.

Temperature guage doesn't show too much heat loss between the surrounding wall and glass pane when heating is off, only a few degrees. Few cold spots around edges so may put a bead of sealant to stop drafts.

without removing one or using a gauge ( or experience :giggle: ) you can't accurately. If its existing upvc , then it will be one of three , 20mm , 24mm or 28mm overall, but then depends if you have 6mm or laminate glass anywhere as that will then alter the spacer bar size too

without removing one or using a gauge ( or experience :giggle: ) you can't accurately. If its existing upvc , then it will be one of three , 20mm , 24mm or 28mm overall, but then depends if you have 6mm or laminate glass anywhere as that will then alter the spacer bar size too
Fair do, thanks for the reply!

These are the worst ones. Thanks so much for helping out!

Attachments

• PXL_20230303_183302707.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20230303_183302707.NIGHT.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 59
That looks like a 20mm spacer bar to me ( old sigma bar at that ) , so a 28mm unit.

Let me tag @crank39 , see if he agrees ( might take him a while to answer though)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back