when the cieling goes crunch!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all.to cut a long story short i was up in the loft a few months ago shifting some junkwhen........you guessed it,nearly did a frank spencer and took the quick way down into one of the bedrooms(oh betty!!!!).my foot didn't go all the way through,i was lucky.the plaster has split though.it does'nt look too bad(its split abouot 18 inch square) and bowing a little.i would be gratefull for any info please as its time to decorate the bedroom where the mess is and the missis is gettin on my back about it :cry: do i try to push it back up whereits bowing and apply a little skim coat?or is there an easier method.?once again thanks if anybody replies

Sponsored Links
This happened to me when I was fourteen (Except I came all the way through). The way I tackled it was to cut around the offending piece to make it square (with two of the edges over the centre of the joists). Put noggins between the joists, (half over the raw edge of the plasterboard, and half over the gap. Cut a new piece of plasterboard to fit the hole. chissel off some of the plaster around the hole. Put scrim over the joints of old to new. Then finish with plaster.

Cut out the offending piece back to the joist then tack a bit of 2x1 to the joist edge to take the new cut of plaster board, skrim tape the joints and skim the area in full passing over the new piece of board onto the ceiling by 18" or so, so as to feather in the new plaster to the original ceiling, if you do this yourself and dont make a super pro job of it, when its dry a shot of fine sandpaper will work wonders. Check for pipes and wires before you start.

Sponsored Links
cheers lads thanks for the info.gonna tackle it shortly.just out of curiosity texmex,when you went sailing through did you land sweet then spark up the hamlet or was it a hospital job? ;) :)

MMJ said:
Is this what started you on your building career?
No way, in fact, it almost put me off completely. (Too much like hard work and messy).

sr72 said:
did you land sweet then spark up the hamlet or was it a hospital job?
Something in between really. I landed on the floor (no injuries), but then recieved some rather sound criticism from my mother (it was her bedroom ceiling I had b*ggered) Anyone would have thought that I'd bombed the place, deliberately! As another part of my penance, I later had to redecorate the room as well!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back