When the dealer says "part exchange to clear"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I right in thinking that this means the dealer is excusing himself off any come backs? Cheers

Sponsored Links
He's trying to.

He is also telling you that the car is not to the usual standard.

That means it should be very cheap

He also hopes to get more for it than if he sent it to auction.

Am I right in thinking that this means the dealer is excusing himself off any come backs? Cheers
not necessarily, it just means he wants a quick sale..........dealers usually only want to have 3 to 5 year old low mileage cars on their forecourts to sell to retain prestige

I know that independent car sales often get cars from main dealers which the dealer has to take in part ex but doesnt want to sell...in fact they might even ring the independent to find out how much they will give, so they know for sure when they do a part ex deal with the customer they are guaranteed to get the price covered

Informative answers .. but does the sale absolve the seller of legal responsibilities ?

Sponsored Links
Informative answers .. but does the sale absolve the seller of legal responsibilities ?
Only if it's a "trade sale".

But the dealer will almost certainly tell you there are no comebacks, and if you get any, expect a fight.

Am I right in thinking that this means the dealer is excusing himself off any come backs?

Not necessarily. Anyway, he can say what he wants, if buying from a business your consumer rights are unaffected. Sometimes they try bs like "sold as seen". Not possible as a trader, and wouldn't stand up in court. If you get any problems that a trader won't rectify, or you feel you've been ripped off - first port of call is a word with your local council's trading standards dept for advice and help.

Just a "come-on" like the nonsensical "first-to-see will buy ". No effect on legal rights.

I suspect it will be classed as a trade sale with no comeback. You’ll probably have to sign a disclaimer or state that you are a trade buyer.

There used to be a car dealer in Manchester (I'm going back the best part of 30 years now) who put all their trade-ins into the Autotrader. The'd reduce them by £100 every week until the cars either sold or got scrapped. These were only available to "the trade" - you couldn't test drive them and you got no warranty. I can remember playing "Russian Roulette" with a few cars that I fancied, seeing how long I dared leave it before someone else snapped them up. Like a sort of "reverse auction"!

Dutch auction, you mean.

Yes, that's the definition of a Dutch Auction - although I've also seen the term used where you play off potential suppliers against each other to get the lowest price, which isn't quite the same thing.

Sponsored Links
Back