Where should I start so I end up with the least amount of cuts?

NHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20240916_134435.jpg

20240916_135413.jpg
20240916_135548 1.jpg

So i've spent a while trying to figure out the best location of where to start my tiles so that i don't end up with tons of cuts here n there because I know that if I just start from 1 side with a full tile and then just work my way across I will only need to cut 1 side of tiles, but because I have the middle part which is where a cooker splashback would normally go and it goes upwards also then if I need to make a cut within that area i'd basically need to make a cut going all the way up (if that makes sense).

I know theres a rule of thumb about starting from the middle and working your way out, but I don't think I can get the 914 x 900 area to fit whole tiles in (without the need to cut) since the width is 914mm and if I divide that by 66.5mm (1 tile + 1 spacer) that gives me 13.75 tiles widthways.

So i'm just wondering if there is like a best starting point/location to start my first tile so that I am able to get as many full tiles in as possible. Thanks

Sponsored Links
You don’t want the minimum number of cuts, you want the set out to ensure you avoid any small pieces. So Jiggle it about until you get as close to having no slithers, ideally nothing less than a 1/3 or say 1/4 of a tile.

It generally looks good if cut tiles that meet at a corner add up to a whole tile, esp if the tiles are stretcher brick pattern.

I’ve just done my bathroom and found it beneficial to draw each wall on CAD, only took me 20 mins, but it wouldn’t take long to draw it in pencil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back