Where to buy electric meter box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Getting my meter moved outside and need to get hold of the meter box, south leccy say Jewsons but the guy I spoke to said they're half price at this other place that had none in.

Anyone recommend anywhere I could get one? And how much should they be?

Sponsored Links
Out of interest how much are you being chraged? We had a quote from Powergen to move the meter from an internal wall to the external wall, in exact same position, they wanted to charge £475 + vat. We had to fit the box and hockey stick and make good the driveway after they had dug it up to move the main cable.

Sponsored Links
If you think you are being overcharged, you can complain to energy watch.

Some Distribution Network Operators charge 25% for "future O&M". Make sure you are not paying this because you havn't added anything, just moved it.

Woha thats a bit steep, SL want £275+vat which is still steep but not as bad as I thought

:D
HI SSE are charging me £229 inclusive of VAT to move my electric meter from inside to outside of my house, I thought this was steep but that was before I encounted the cost of getting a consummer unit installed to tidy up the rest of the other fuses etc which is £350 on top, plus the dreaded purchase of the surface mounted ugly white box another £56.83 from the local Jewsons. The dimmensions of this being 40cm wide, 60cm height and depth 21cm. Checked the internet and Stephen.P.Wales LTD advertises a slightly better product i.e marginaly smaller at £47 inclusive of VAT & next day delivery. Every penny is worth saving where possible when the total job works out to over £600.

Why not use a flush mounted meter box if you dont like the bulky surface ones?

It only takes a couple of cuts with a grinder or stihl saw to fit it in.

:(
The problem is the house was constructed in 1900 and due to its lack of cavity walls and lack of breeze blocks I dare not disturb the original bricks!For fear of causing a bigger problem.
Still trying to find a smaller neater looking surface mounted box but no joy so far! Any ideas?

Nope. meter boxes are a standard size to allow all necessary equipment to be fitted in. You need room for possibly the cutout, 2 meters and a teleswitch, or cutout, meter DP isolator and consumers switch fuse.

It doesnt take much to fill it. Could you build a more sympathetic wooden cupboard for example to surround the meterbox?

this is a standard meterbox. It doesn't take much to fill it.

IMGP2097-1-1.jpg

it should be easy to make an opening in a 1900 wall. the bricks are probably in lime mortar so a breaknife should do it.

Don't worry about the colour of the box. you can paint it with non-drip gloss to any colour you like.

I did this one 15 years ago and it doesn't need another coat yet

POL_0136.jpg

RF Lighting said:
Why not use a flush mounted meter box if you dont like the bulky surface ones?

It only takes a couple of cuts with a grinder or stihl saw to fit it in.
hope you forgot to mention the lintel RF :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back