Which perforated pipe for drainage field?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The drainage field needs replacing on my septic tank,it wasn't correctly sized or installed when first commissioned-there are many of these systems localy,and they all seem to use the flexible land drain which is specifically mentioned as being unsuitable in Klargester's literature-what is the position,the BCO doesn't see to mind using land drain-are there any dsadvantages i should be aware of?

Sponsored Links
I think you need to contact klargester for the low-down.
It might just be cause they want you to use their own specified products. Like when printer manufacturers recommend that you only use their own 'genuine' ink. (in other words, BS)

I've used the 4" before with a fleece type wrap covering it but the silt fines here soon clogged that up. To be honest the best way is to use the un-wrapped pipe buried in straw i've never had a problem when using it.

thanks deluks and ajs-bit more research needed-must say i've not heard of the straw thing-my understanding is 300mm of 20-50 stone below pipe and 50mm above then geotextile then normal backfill.

Sponsored Links
the internal silt will lay in the concertina grooves :idea: if you use slotted u/ground plastic, it won`t

thanks Nige-so i guess the silt sits in the concertina bits,this then blocks the drainage holes,I was thinking about getting some plain pipe and drilling a load of holes as the proper perforated pipe is v.expensive.

Use a grinder or recip saw and cut slits along it's length.

I'd look for a few suppliers online, IIRC the perforated 110mm pipe isnt vastly more expensive. I'd be happy to pay the slight extra than be drilling a few hundred holes... ;)

looks like the perforated pipe is twice the price of the plain-say an extra £15 every 6 metres-and i need quite a bit of pipe,so looks like angle grinder here i come!Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back