Which wall plug for ceiling & curtain track?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Seeking advice on what type of wall plug to use to safely install a curtain track on a plaster board ceiling for heavy curtains.

Some background:
- I am currently looking to hang a curtain track on my ceiling as a room divider.
- The track is 255cm (cut to size) and is this brand: https://www.dunelm.com/product/swish-deluxe-track-1000011674?length=275cm&colour=White.
- There will be eight fixing points along the 255cm to spread the weight.
- I believe the ceiling is plasterboard (there is no beam or stud where I'm drilling)
- The curtains are fairly heavy

Thanks in advance from a first time home-buyer and new DIYer!

Sponsored Links
5.5mm drill and red plug if screws are under 3.5mm wide.
6mm drill and red plug if screws over 3.5mm wide.

So you're a 5.5mm drill and red plug

5.5mm drill and red plug if screws are under 3.5mm wide.
6mm drill and red plug if screws over 3.5mm wide.

So you're a 5.5mm drill and red plug
Standard plugs won’t hold in
plasterboard ceiling.
These may work but if curtains are heavy you may need more brackets.

Safer to fix a timber baton across which will help spread the load or simply treading on the curtain could bring it all down.

Sponsored Links
I would go with cavity fixings such as Interset (you will however need to purchase the fixing tool). With the above you will need a 12mm drill bit. Drill the hole, push in the fitting (with screw). Then use the setting tool to pull the screw towards you, as it does so the metal wings expand against the reverse of the plasterboard. The following video will explain it better than me

I have recommended the 6mm (screw) fittings because over the years I have found them far more reliable than the 5mm versions. The threads on the latter seem to be a bit hit and miss with thicker plasterboard. Make sure that the track will accept 6mm threaded machine screws though. BTW the ones I linked to are for 9.5mm plasterboard.

With plasterboard you can buy some thin 4mm ish thick x 25mm ish wide wood and stick it with polymer grab mastic to plasterboard with 3 screws at one each end and one in the middle.
Emulsion in with wall colour.
Screw rail brackets to the wood.

I would go with cavity fixings such as Interset (you will however need to purchase the fixing tool). With the above you will need a 12mm drill bit. Drill the hole, push in the fitting (with screw). Then use the setting tool to pull the screw towards you, as it does so the metal wings expand against the reverse of the plasterboard. The following video will explain it better than me

I have recommended the 6mm (screw) fittings because over the years I have found them far more reliable than the 5mm versions. The threads on the latter seem to be a bit hit and miss with thicker plasterboard. Make sure that the track will accept 6mm threaded machine screws though. BTW the ones I linked to are for 9.5mm plasterboard.
Unfortunately curtain rail brackets rarely take more than a 3-4mm screws

- I believe the ceiling is plasterboard (there is no beam or stud where I'm drilling)

Then you would be well advised to locate the joists, and fix to those.

You can buy my "special tool" if you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back