who thought two zone heating was a good idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With thermostats on every radiator what is the point of two zone central heating? Why not single zone and let the TRV’s do their job?

We have two zone heating and there is a thermostat in the master bedroom – Why? I thought most people wanted the bathroom to be warmer than the bedroom, I certainly do.

Am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
I wish we’d gone for 2 zone when we refurbished our house.

The upstairs are not needed to be heated much during the day during the week so we waste a lot of energy.

Yes we have TRVs

Depends on how much centralised control is needed over each section of a house and how large/separate that house is. Some like to control upstairs completely differently from downstairs and over different times. Having to change the TRV's all the time can be tedious.

Smart TRV's over Wifi are different again and then in effect, each TRV is its own zone

I have two zones, main house and flat, as it suits me to be able to turn off whole flat when no one staying in it. But both the flat and main house also have TRV's and of the 14 TRV's 9 have the ability to set the time.

The problem is the boiler is switched on by temperature in the kitchen with flat, and hall with main house, and setting the TRV and wall thermostat has not worked like it did with mothers house, I think in the main due to boiler being oil, so on/off rather than gas which modulates, I have considered a third wall thermostat in the main house living room, but fitted new double glazing so waiting to see how the heat is distributed before I add a third wall thermostat.

I was told that Energenie TRV's worked with Nest, they don't. So looking at Wiser or Hive in parallel with Nest. But the biggest problem is cats, the idea was to shut doors, but cats scratch at carpets if we do, so doors left cracked open, also this time of year armed with 18 x AA batteries I need to change the batteries in the TRV's, they should last two years, but simpler to change all together. And normally have to re-pair all the bluetooth links to phone, but wifi seem to just need battery change.

The theroy is the hall TRV set cooler that the hall wall thermostat, and so the wall thermostat will only turn off when a little warmth from other rooms has entered the hall, this worked A1 in the house with gas boiler, but house with oil, cooling it the problem, as hall is last room to cool down being centre of the house, so no setting of lock shield or TRV can adjust cooling time.

Sponsored Links
With thermostats on every radiator what is the point of two zone central heating? Why not single zone and let the TRV’s do their job?

We have two zone heating and there is a thermostat in the master bedroom – Why? I thought most people wanted the bathroom to be warmer than the bedroom, I certainly do.

Am I missing something?
Bedroom radiator will be sized to heat the room to 16 degrees, bathroom to 25
Two zones mean one zone is off until you go to bed when other will go off ideally
TRVs- very rarely these are set to a lower setting so pointless having them.

IMG_6282.jpeg

Above is what I have. 6 zones.

Am I missing something?
You are.

TRV's will turn off each radiator, however the pipework leading before the TRV will heat up even with the radiators closed and it will cause a much longer time to heat up the whole C/H. If there is a bypass installed too that will also heat up, if this is in a place (for example upstairs) and the user wants to only heat up the ground floor then the radiator will have to warm up and consume more time for the overall system to reach the desired temperature.

To avoid this its better to get a seperate zone for individual floors etc (large homes).

We burn less gas we used to - partly because we got the heating zoned. I don't want a heated bedroom in the middle of the day, and I don't want a heated sitting room when I'm about to go to bed.

Thanks for all the comments – definitely got me thinking…

@Murdochcat & @Madrab – thanks for pointing out that trvs don’t modulate, they sit where you put them. I knew that, having spent the first few months adjusting and readjusting. Obviously that part of the brain not connected on the day of the post.

@ericmark – if you have two radically different situations heated from a common source then it makes sense to split. I have no knowledge of oil (or much else by the looks of itJ) our gas boiler does not modulate – it is either heating or not heating dependant (I presume) on the temperature of the water flowing through it.

@DP – Radiator sizes. I was under the impression that the bigger the size, the faster a room heats up? TRV set point – good point, I will have to have a look at mine. I might have to up the thermostat to get them to do something! Your zones look very granular, are they smart trvs?

@Jurassicspark – you are not wrong, but I am not sure it’s that clear cut. I would expect it to be based on volume/heat exchanger efficiency and become worse over time. Just a thought, if you have the heating on for a long time should not all the radiators warm up irrespective of the valve positions? Maybe that what the pvc tape is for?

@StephenStephen – sounds like a big ask, but have you any ideas on roughly how much you are saving due to zoning? If the savings are reasonable, why not two zone every home?

Bedroom radiator will be sized to heat the room to 16 degrees,
That does not really work, as you don't run them at the same time, and the key phrase is recovery time, i.e. from a holding temperature lets call it eco how long to reach comfort? Specially for those not retired, it needs to detect your phone is travelling towards home, and heat up first room which is going to be used, before you get home, so basic eco to comfort in an hour or less.
We burn less gas we used to - partly because we got the heating zoned. I don't want a heated bedroom in the middle of the day, and I don't want a heated sitting room when I'm about to go to bed.
Yes we do the same, each programmable TRV forms a zone, but to work well you need the rooms being used to be able to transmit the minimum output of the boiler into the room, or boiler will cycle off/on all the time, so radiators need to be larger.
thanks for pointing out that trvs don’t modulate
Early TRV's were designed to be open or closed, but modern ones do modulate, and will maintain a radiator warm all day rather than turning off and on. But clearly that only works where the boiler also modulates, my TRV's I hear the motors running as they try to heat up the room when boiler not running.
our gas boiler does not modulate
So same as my oil boiler, the problem is the TRV may open, but can't heat room until boiler kicks in, so I would set the wall thermostat to raise 0.5ºC every two hours to ensure the boiler regularly runs, my problem is the hall cools too slowly, I can adjust heat up speed with lock shield valve, but no way to adjust cool down speed.

I have altered the house by fitting better double glazing, so waiting to see how it goes, but seems likely I will fit a second wall thermostat to ensure boiler fires up, likely one which can be paired to a TRV, at night wife's bedroom is worst room, so change that TRV heat for a linked one, and living room some times too slow to heat up, so third thermostat in that room. At moment two thermostats, two pumps, and two motorised valves so main house and flat under main house are independent.

But books say wall thermostat should go in a heated room, with no alternative heating and no doors to outside on lower floor, that leaved the shower/toilet as all other rooms have door/s to outside, and two alternative heating, so the book idea does not work, 6 sets of doors into the house, 3 x patio doors (double) and 3 x single doors, even two doors in the doors (cat flaps) so only option is common sense.

If the savings are reasonable, why not two zone every home?
Part L1(b) 2010 (amended 2023) of building regs - new builds of over 150m2 should have at least 2 zones with wet C/H (unless other measures are in place)....

Screenshot_20240913-111130_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

So yes, someone thinks it's a good idea for 'every' home to have 2 zones! :)

Thanks for all the comments – definitely got me thinking…

@StephenStephen – sounds like a big ask, but have you any ideas on roughly how much you are saving due to zoning? If the savings are reasonable, why not two zone every home?
Sorry, I've forgotten the maths over the last couple of years...
- For us it was a fairly easy choice to go for 3 zones - we were replacing 3 boilers with one, in a new location, so we were already into a load of disruption and expense...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back