Why does insulation effect cable sizes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been reading through various posts and the subject of insulation came up again.

Why does insulation effect cables and reduce the current handling capacity???

I can't get my head around that one?

Has it got anything to do with the insulation and chemical reaction?

So much too learn... :D

Sponsored Links
because it significantly reduces heat disapation so the cable will run hotter at the same current

also there are some types of insulation that cable should NEVER be in direct contact with because they attack the plastic polystyren is the best known of theese

So is this why SWA has a higher load rating than T&E ?

xple swa has a higher current rateing because of its higher core temp rating (90 celcius as apposed to 70 celcius)

i dunno about pvc swa i don't have the figures but i can't imagine it's much diifernt to pvc twin and earth though the different cable structure may count for something

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
because it significantly reduces heat disapation so the cable will run hotter at the same current

I'm not disagreeing with you, but surely cables don't heat up that much??? If they are then surely they are inadequately rated?

Or am I missing the point... They don't heat up normally because the heat is dissapated, but within thermal insulation, the heat cannot escape...

Think I inderstand now!

Are there limits to how many cables are bundled together???

Or does this not have a significant effect?

And finally, does this also count if the cable is resting on insulation and not within insulation?

there are ratings for different basic installation methods
and then further derating factors beyond that

here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back