Why is my basin chrome waste pipe OD 35mm ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to replace an 8 year old corroded chrome basin bottle trap. It connects to a 35mm waste pipe that disappears into the wall.

1. I can't find any basin bottle traps that accept 35mm chrome pipes.
2. What does the 35mm pipe connect to behind the wall ?
3. Why do 35mm chrome pipes even exist if you can't buy things that connect to them ?

Sponsored Links
A McAlpine A10 should work.

It could connect to a multitude of things behind the wall.

Thanks, I'll try that. It (A10) says it's a 32mm fitting but if you're recommending it I'm assuming it'll accept a range of ODs

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Somehow the housebuilder managed to fit chrome bottle traps that take 35mm pipes. I've tried a few that take nothing but 32mm.

Wonder if a drum flap wheel was used to enlarge the opening and sandpaper on the pipe.

Hi, it's on an estate with 100's of houses so I think they just had traps with 35mm outlets. Is 35mm something that was more common 10 years ago ?

Hi, it's on an estate with 100's of houses so I think they just had traps with 35mm outlets. Is 35mm something that was more common 10 years ago ?
Maybe just a specific manufacturer, there are al sorts of oddities with waste pipe sizes.

"Additionally, chrome waste pipes are available in 35mm and 42mm sizes, necessitating the use of a conversion seal or fitting for proper connection to plastic pipework."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back