Why won’t a shower pump work as a whole house pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Curious to know why a single shower pump can’t be installed at the hw cylinder (in a conventional/vented system?

I have a header tank in loft, cylinder on mezzanine floor and I’m installing a new mixer shower on ground floor but am I not as well boosting the whole house?

Sponsored Links
It can, if you buy a decent one. I recommend Stuart Turner Monsoon. Only thing to really think about is that it will run at night if someone gets up to the loo and uses hot water to wash their hands.

A lot of pumps, especially the plastic shower pumps, aren't continuous use rated and have a specific duty cycle and they also can't handle one end of the pump running against a closed system, i.e if just a hot or cold tap was opened then the other end would then overheat and damage the impeller.
Similarly even though a lot of the brass impeller housing are continuously rated if it's a dual pump then it needs to be specifically suited as a whole house to ensure it doesn't damage itself where one side could be running against a closed head for extended periods of time, in that instance then 2 separate pumps are usually employed.

Some pumps have a crossover/bypass arrangement that allow a twin pump to run single ends but I believe that is specific to salamander.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back